Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Secondary Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mitcheeew

mitcheeew

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

running 98 SE.had a secondary hard drive that crashed long ago. I'd like to remove it,but need to know what adjustments need to be made, & the wheres & hows.
Do I need to move jumpers on primary drive ? Refresh system config, (which is error I got after unplugging secondary first time.) bios changes,etc withthe goal for startup to only recognize 1 drive ?
Then planning to do clean install of XP Pro,but I thought it would be wise to disconnect second drive before hand. Please advise of all steps & thanks.

Edited by mitcheeew, 12 March 2006 - 11:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:56 PM

If it hasn't been working, and isn't you master drive...remove it. If it hasn't been working and you haven't had to change anything to make your puter work, you shouldn't need to change anything to remove it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:18 AM

It shouldn't be necessary to make any changes to the Primary drive configuration. Unplug the IDE Cable & Power Cable from the Slave Drive & Boot up the BIOS will only detect 1 drive.

What is the Make & Model of the Primary Drive??
What is the Jumpers Set to??
What plug on the IDE Cable is it plugged into??

#4 mitcheeew

mitcheeew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I'll look at the parts in a couple of days & let you know.
Appreciate the help !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users