Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows installation disc loads without hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 airmale

airmale

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:27 AM

Hi
I am trying to access my BIOS,cannot use f8 or any f to access,cannot load from my original disc yet it loads when the hard drive is not installed?
Any help please
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

Don't actually understand anything in your post except that you want to get into the bios. Watch the screen when the system first boots for a message that says "to enter bios (or setup) press ??? now". Whatever that key is, press it.

#3 airmale

airmale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Thanks Allan , my problem is I see what to press but my usb mouse and keyboard are not able to be used as my computer is frozen on window resume loader,I think the problem is that the usb controller is turned off in the BIOS but I cannot reboot using my original disc either so there is no way that I can access the BIOS
Can you assist me please?

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hello,

What is your computer make and model number?

Do you have or can you borrow a PS2 keyboard? If your computer has a PS2 connector, that should allow F-key function. Also, some USB keyboards have a key (i.e. Lock) that when pressed activates USB detection at boot..

Just for clarification, you state that you can't boot from your "image disc." This is, no doubt, because it is set in BIOS to boot after the hard drive.
Is your ultimate goal to re-install your operating system?

Regards,
Brooks

#5 airmale

airmale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hi Artrooks
I am based in Australia so we have a time difference,I do have a key lock,which I tapped repeatedly when trying to reboot but nothing happens,the light is permanently on on the keyboard
I since found out that we had a power blackout during the night,this is the actual cause ( which originally had me puzzled )
My problem now is what can I do next?
I cannot tell you much about my computer,500 gig hard drive,Intel core 2 duo,not sure how much ram but certainly adequate,windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Hoping someone can assist

#6 airmale

airmale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

And yes,I need to get my computer running so I can access my accounting program for my business
Cheers

#7 airmale

airmale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

Artrooks
Your suggestion of connecting the ps2 keyboard fixed the problem
I cannot thank you enough!
Cheers

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you. Posted Image You might want to set the CDROM to boot before the hard drive on that computer.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Also, check to see if there is an option in bios to enable usb support at boot. If there is, enable it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users