Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications Crashing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Simman

Simman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

Alright, this is a topic pulled from the Windows 7 forum that I believe I can point toward hardware now (sadly D:)

Some back story. This system is from a few months back, right at the launch of Ivy Bridge. Everything worked perfectly
until about a week and a half ago. I am running a completely fresh install of Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

Heres the problem. Applications seem to randomly crash.
A game called Aion will crash only after login and character
selection. Game reports nv3ddum.dll as the culprit usually. (gpu problem?)
Eve Online only crashes when two clients are up. One client runs perfectly fine. (Makes me think gpu again..vram?)
Google Chrome will crash rarely upton startup, but never after. Flash within Chrome however will crash randomly.
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim runs fine for about an hour. Then the game will simply close. No idea what that means.

I haven't got any bluescreens (though just before my clean install, I'd have loads of them (still got the dumps if intrested))
...just that I can't seem to do the things I want.

Tested both RAM modules at the same time with memtest86+. Full 7 passes, no errors. I also pulled a ram stick out
one at a time to check if the problem persists. It does.

Also something to note, I can't complete the Windows experience index. Ever. Infact, every time I do,
it crashes at the same point. Direct3D 10 Texture test. Hope that helps anything.

Another thing to note, two reboots (updates) after my windows install, chkdsc ran itself and deleted and restored
what seemed to be quite a few items. Not sure what it was about but it no longer does that and chkdsc reports
no faults.

Specs:
i5 2570k @ 4.4Ghz
CM Hyper212
eVGA gtx680 Superclocked
ASUS Maximus V Gene
OCZ Agility 3 60gb (boot drive)
Seagate Barracuda 1tb (storage)
G Skill Ripjaws X (8gbx2)
Corsair tx750w

Thanks to anyone that can help me :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

Hi Simman,

Could be a driver problem...Check device manager and see if there are any conflicts. nv3ddum.dll is a Nvidia file.. Check Nvidia for updated driver..

Check the troubleshooting tips given in these two links..
Windows media player crashes, nvd3dum.dll file error
Windows 7 64 bit crashes constantly with games

Pauline

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

Three Questions:
>Does this happen only in games, or do these crashes happen in other applications, such as word processing, watching Youtube videos, listening to music, etc.?
>Is this a homebuild or retail unit?
>How old is the unit?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the Tip Pauline, but unfortunately even with just bare bones drivers things would crash. At the
moment all I really have are the core drivers for my mobo, chipset, vidcard etc.

It seems mainly things that are graphically intense will crash the system. For example One Eve client is
fine, but running two causes one to crash and the other to hang. The problem also occured when
I tried to run SETI@home (It runs both CPU and GPU calculations). I'd get a BSOD pointing to a random thing.
As I said the WEI is never able to finish and always hangs at the same point.

The system is not retail (I gave up with them..but it seems this way has issues of its own).

The system was built right after the launch of the Ivy Bridge architecture..so sometime early May.
Not old at all.

Just to clarify, the system was running well for the last 3 months. then issues started abruptly.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thanks... I noticed that in your specs you posted, "eVGA gtx680 Superclocked". Does that mean that you used an overclocking utility to boost GPU performance? I have an EVGA card and totally love it..I don't remember any model called "Superclocked" but I could have missed something.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

No, the term superclocked means the card was factory overclocked for me. Instead of 1058mhz, its 1084mhz. Though it usually boosted well past that
and reached 1175 most of the time.

Edit: maybe of use, the Full 7 passes took about 17.5hrs (all 16gb of ram).

Edited by Simman, 18 August 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#7 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Alright, an update now.

I've removed my video card and well, WEI managed to run and give me a score of 5.5. Leads me to think it was my video card. On
the other hand though I had an odd glitch before. Currently running the HD4000 on my Ivy chip.

Basically, I ran the game fine. Once I quit however, everything had a really sharp red hue to it and the colors looked really
badly scrambled. I repeated it after a restart.

Then I decided to boot up into ubuntu and waste some time (Got tired of running into problems). No crashes or anything in that
OS for quite a few hours so I went back to Win7.

Now I can no longer repeat the issue. Even better news, I can run 2 EVE clients off my HD4000 without a hitch it seems (Only
tested about 15min. Its really late in nyc :S)

I guess I'll update if anything changes. Anyone have any ideas about the weird redness? Should I be worried?

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

If it is running smooth I wouldn't worry about it. I was wondering if the forced overclocking was one of your problems; is it still running overclocked or did it default back to standard clock?

#9 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

It is indeed still OC'd. Its nothing crazy...my temps never go past 70 (Only on SETI..other gaming it won't pass 60).

I'm headed for a friends house very soon to test the card. Damn am I disappointed that the most expensive part might be
to blame :(

#10 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Well. Tested the card on a friends system. Flawless.

Came back home and tried the card again. WEI crashed. Tested 2nd pci-e port. WEI Crashed.

Then I started having issues with my integrated gfx. I reset my CMOS and things seem stable again. Could it be a
Mobo or Proc issue? Either way, that sucks hard. I don't think Asus or Intel will honor my warranty because
I OC'd :(

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

It might be that the card was running default clock on your friend's computer, but it is set for overclock on yours. Remove the overclocking and set back to default clock and see what happens. Crashes are not always due to overheating; overclocking is notorious for problems. Interesting that only your applications crash, not the entire system - evidently no BSODs.
>Have you ever blue screened?
>And have you ever upgraded video card drivers?
>and... do you have the crash dump enabled in Windows?
Oh, and by the way, the manufacturer has no way of knowing that you overclocked the card. O/clocking is done with BIOS configurations. Many cards are made to overclock now.
[EDIT]: Whoops, on re-reading your last post I see that you reset your CMOS back to default, so that should remove any overclocking tweaks. Let it ride for a while and see if your crashes stop.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 August 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#12 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Well hell. I reinstalled my video card after thoroughly testing the system without it.

Everything works fine. For what ever reason, my rock stable OC became a not so solid OC. Should I be worried
about that at all? I was running the Chip with 1.2v at 4.4ghz. That seemed reasonable to me. :\

Any opinions on that at all?

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Your problem was the overclocking that your retailer installed on your system. If they had thoroughly stress-tested it then it would have given them trouble as well. Overclocking is stressing the component beyond what the manufacturer recommends and failure/crashing is a common thing. Run your system at default values and you will have a good, stable system.

#14 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

I see how it could be a problem, but the factory overclocked part was the video card, and that's got its own bios on board. No reset there :)

Just seems that something arose with the cpu overclock. I knew the chip wasn't that great to begin with (was reading while waiting for
it to come in the mail months ago). I guess I didn't think I would suddenly have issues. Lots to learn I suppose hehe.

System is running rock stable now. I might look into a lighter OC in the future, but for now 3.8ghz is more then enough. 2 Eve clients
and a movie seem to only push it to 3~ anyway.

Thanks for your time and sorry it ended up being something stupid on my part :S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users