Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen-"reboot and select proper boot device"

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 rodarian

rodarian

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hello, here is my problem. I recently ordered a desktop online with win 7-asus m5a88-m mb, amd fx 4100 bulldozer quad core processor with a wd 1 terabyte hd. I put in my own radeon r6750 core edition grphix card. This pc ran amazingly for approx. 2 months. Then all of the sudden upon cold start only, makes a loud humming, it goes to black screen with the words "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE PRESS ANY KEY." Then the humming subsides,i turn it off and right back on and runs fantastic. It does this everyday. Things i have tried: got to bios and change priority order to hd first, replace hd, sent back to company and it was fixed for 2 days and doing it again. I should also mention that they completely reloaded windows and replaced the ram. Any help here would be greatly appreciated as i am getting frustrated. Thank you for your time reading this:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

Do you have a BIOS option of floppy disk enable/disable? Try disabling this option, use quick/silent boot and reinsert or replace CMOS battery. Might wanna check also if your PSU is still up to the task with your current GPU card.

Tekken

#3 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Thank you for your quick response. I do not have the floppy disk enable/disable option in my bios. My gpu min requirement is 450 watt psu and i have 500 watt. This is just really odd that it goes to this reboot screen but when i shut it off and turn back on it runs great. Do you think this could be damaging my pc in any way since i have to do this everyday? Anymore advice on this problem? My only other thought is to send it back....again. Thanks.

#4 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have had the same issue a few years ago (not 100 % the same, but in some way). I fixed it be restoring >>the bios<< to it's default 'factory' settings. I'm not sure if this option is in all bios versions.

Sometimes this issue is seeing when the harddrive doesn't function correctly. But you say it just does this at first time you started it up. So it looks like my issue. Give it a try I would say...

Also don't forget to backup your personal stuff, it can be hardware related.

#5 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

To check the harddrive it's state;

Use CrystalDiskInfo

Posted Image

#6 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks ElFasso, I crystaldiskinfo says my hdd condition is good. As far as my bios goes, i havent changed anything in there. As far as i can tell it is at factroy default but i am really not sure. I did look and am not completely sure where and how to set it to factory default. What i do know is, i would like to set my charge card back to before i paid for this thing:) If there any other suggestions, i am all eyes, otherwise i may be sending this back(for the second time in 4 months). Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

#7 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Thanks to jhayz also:)

#8 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Ok, i am now wondering, is it possible that the graphics card that i installed could be causing this issue. Is there any way to run a graphics card scan that might tell me if it has an issue during start up? The card i installed is - RADEON R6750 CORE EDITION - I am positive that my machine exceeds all the minimum requirements for this card and i downloaded the drivers from the XFX website. If there is anymore info that you need to know I will gladly tell you. Thanks.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Any recent changes could be the problem. A humming sound might be the clue... Do you have onboard GPU for testing?

Tekken

#10 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I do and I think i'm going to give it a try. Gonna have to get back to you tomorrow for the results as my computer will run fine the rest of today.(I hope:)) It only does it one the first startup of the day, any shut down and restart after that, there never seems to be a problem. Very odd in my opinion. Talking to the tech that built this machine says he wants to do a bios update. What do you all think about that? Thanks again jhayz and i will let you know how this turns out.

#11 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Just want to say that i havent had the chance to take out my graphics card but i did get inside my machine today and found a loose connection on the motherboard, coming from the hardrive. I did gently move it back into postion and gave it a little push to make sure it was connected and it seemed that it was. Amazingly, when i started my pc this evening, it started as smooth and as quiet as the day i got it. I am not holding my breath that that fixewd it but i am crossing my fingers. Will keep you posted and thanks everyone.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

You seem to have solved your problem. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#13 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

I certainly hope so jhayz, this is day two of smooth start up but i'm not totally convinced yet..haha. Just want to say thanks again and i will give many good remarks about this forums board and the people that are on it. :clapping:

#14 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Well, i spoke to soon. Turned on pc today and right back to that reboot screen. Just giving you all an update.
sincerly,
Frustrated Rodarian:(

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Well, first thing is to prepare to send it back to avail of the warranty period. No need to cause you headache in the first place. :scratchhead:
Make sure also that there is no loose cable from the hard drive or it may be a faulty at that. Do you still get the reboot and select message? Check in your BIOS if the hard drive is recognized and if the boot priority is correct or use another port for the drive.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users