Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Private networking?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nmorrill

nmorrill

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm not really sure where to post this, and maybe this is the wrong site to ask at, but hopefully someone can direct me to the right place.
Essentially, I'm heading to college and am planning on purchasing a personal printer (printers are scarce in the dorms). However, though I want it to be wireless, I want to keep it private or password protected. In the past when I've set up printers for wireless networks, everyone can see and then attach themselves to the printer. While I don't object to people using the printer, I'd prefer to not have people printing 1000 pages of random things as a prank or something like that. What can I do?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

The only way I can think to accomplish this is to setup your own wireless access point or router that you can attach to when you want to print. That way you could keep your wireless network password protected and turn off the SSID broadcast so people wont even know it's there. However, if you can't connect the access point/router to the college internet connection, you would have to change networks just to print and at that point you would lose your internet connection until you switched back. You might be better off investing in a long USB cable.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users