Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Won't Recognize Sound And Network Cards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roadbum

roadbum

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

I was mucking around in my computer (like I always do) trying to install a network card for
a home network. Anyway, in te process, I did something that cut all sound. The sound card isn't showing up in the device manager, and when I re-install it, the comp won't recognize it, (likewise the network card). I suspect something is disabled in the BIOS set-up, but I've reviewed it carefully and don't see anything wrong. Usually when you install a card etc. the computer tells you it's found new hardware, then you install the drivers etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:58 PM

Try changing the PCI slots, usually the computer will recognize the relocation and a new device and prompt you to install it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

Tell us about your computer.
Make & Model??
Motherboard if you have a home built computer??
Soundcard??
NIC card??
Operating System??

#4 roadbum

roadbum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Sorry about that River Rat, here are the gory details: It is a home-built comp, it's got a Biostar mobo M7VIT 800 (socket A) with an AMD Atyhlon XP2700 256kb chip. A Chaintech SA5500T2 256mb 4X/8X AGP card, a Soundblaster 24 bit soundcard (I'm not a big super sound guy) a Hitachi 60GB/7200/2mb/ATA-100 hard drive. I also put a Linksys 10/100 Ethernet network card in it (which is another thing the comp won't recognize) Anyway I did switch PCI slots for both cards but no luck. Things were fine until I started fooling around with this networking stuff, but the fact that the comp won't recognize componets is strange. I always make sure the cards "seat" well so thats not the problem.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

Is there any reason you are not using the integrated Sound & LAN on this MB??

Enter the BIOS and make sure PnP is Enabled.
Have you been to the Device Manager and Right Click the Sound Devices & LAN card and Removed or Deleted them and restart to see if the OS will see them and try to install the drivers??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users