Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Slow, Freezing - Constantly writing to HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scottyxx

scottyxx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi Everyone, I have done a few searches, and tried to solve this issue, but I cannot find a solution anywhere.

This one has had me stumped for a few days.

My new Lenovo T520 is behaving weirdly. It just randomly started happening on the evening of the 14th, and has continued since. My computer turns on, and everything loads, but then it just siezes up. I was able to open Task Manager, it shows my CPU Usage at 0%, and my memory usage at about 40% with 70 processes running.

Opening up Resource monitor, under disk, i shows my disk is constantly reading and writing. At first there was an SVCHost that was constantly reading - Superfetch, so I disabled this. I saw improved performance for one day. I did a system restore back to 3 days ago, and saw performance improvement once again for 1 day. I removed everything from startup, and turned off as many services as I could.

Under device manager, in the driver section, I found an error with the Security something driver (I cannot remember exactly, and my computer will not let me browse anywhere) so I uninstalled this driver. (I was going to update it in safemode, but it will not let me)

In the system event log, ever since the 15th, I am seeing lots of events, these events were for Computer Browser services not starting - services which I did not disable. (Maybe I did, but I set all services I turned off to Manual not Disabled, so it should have started when it was called).

Right now Resource Monitor shows these items writing to disk
MessageCenterPLus.exe <LENOVO UPDATE
TrustedInstaller.exe <I managed to get a driver update running, which is running now.
svchost.exe (LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) <PID 4
System
MsMpEng.exe <MSE Engine
rundll32.exe
svchost (netsvcs) <PID 1084

the % Highest Active time is just sitting at 100% and my harddrive access light is constantly on. If I try to open anything, or browse the computer it freezes.

Being on or off the internet makes no difference, and the computer runs fine in safemode.

In safemode, I have run TDSSKiller, MSE, Superantispyware, and found nothing. I also used safemode to turn off services, startups, and uninstall any programs I don't need. Still having issues.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: It runs fine for a few minutes at start up before the thrashing starts, this is how I am able to open task manager and resource monitor. I have also changed the laptops power plan from Longest battery life, to high performance, still no joy.

EDIT 2: Ran chkdsk, so errors.

EDIT 3: Doing a windows Clean Boot does not resolve the issue. I still get a few minutes before everything stops, but as usual it is temporary.

Turned off all processes at startup. Did not help.

Doing more troubleshooting - TrustedInstaller is running and writing to the harddrive all the time, irrelevant if anything is running or not. Currently booting with only windows services and no startups running, and its still dead within 5 minutes.

In safemode the harddrive is being queried often as well but not enough to freeze it. I am really stumped on this one, and do not understand what is going on. Ran sfc / scannow in safemode, and it gave no errors.

My event log is huge, over 5000 events in it, most of which have been in the past few days, most common log entries refer to DCOM.

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server {9E175B6D....
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server ...
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server

I also have a few errors that follow the pattern of "Event filer with query "SELECT * FROM_InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in the namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003"

Booted into safe mode. Went to Lenovo site, downloaded new Grahics Card driver, and Smart Card reader (I had yellow ! in the device manager for both). Deleted everything in prefetch. Restarted. System seems to be more stable, the !s in device manager are gone. System is writing to disk, but has barely any activity. - and we are back to slow down, just took a little bit longer this time.

Removed Java and deleted Java cache, re installed new version of java.

Downloaded Malwae bytes, ran is safe mode, found something called PUP.Bundleinstaller.io (cannot remember exact name). Mbam removed this.

Rescanned in safemode after restart, confirmed deleted. Boot into windows normally, freezes again.

Edited by scottyxx, 17 August 2012 - 02:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm having this same issue with my Lenovo Thinkpad T500. It boots fine but within 5 minutes of being turned on, it locks up with no programs opened. I've also noticed that the hard drive light is solid green and not blinking like it normally does. I've looked at the CPU usage while it's acting up and it says 0%. Sometimes when I try to open Task Manager or Resource Manager, they lock up or take forever to open. I have tried to scan the hard drive with MalwareBytes AntiMalware in safe mode but it locked up during the scan and would not finish.

I'm waiting for ideas the same as you are Scotty.

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

#3 scottyxx

scottyxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

I'm having this same issue with my Lenovo Thinkpad T500. It boots fine but within 5 minutes of being turned on, it locks up with no programs opened. I've also noticed that the hard drive light is solid green and not blinking like it normally does. I've looked at the CPU usage while it's acting up and it says 0%. Sometimes when I try to open Task Manager or Resource Manager, they lock up or take forever to open. I have tried to scan the hard drive with MalwareBytes AntiMalware in safe mode but it locked up during the scan and would not finish.

I'm waiting for ideas the same as you are Scotty.

Glad to know I am not alone, I have been trouble shooting for days, with no luck.

#4 scottyxx

scottyxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

I am making a tech support to Lenovo. So far not going well. Cannot open CDrive to download her disk check tool, as funnily enough, the computer is frozen...as I alread told them.

Will update as more happens.

Tech support gave up after computer froze during her shared session. I rebooted and ran the tool she gave me in safe mode, it was the Lenovo hard drive testing utility - its available in the Lenovo toolbox. It carried out 5 tests, and failed 2 of them then hung. Turns out I need a new harddrive.

Lenovo is sending out a replacement drive in the next few days for me to install. Looks like I was in early stages of disk failure.

I would suggest you run the disk check utility in lenovo - cannot remember the name, and see if you pass.

Edited by scottyxx, 17 August 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#5 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

The lenovo disk checker utility is not compatible with this model of the thinkpad. This laptop is at least 6 years old (at least that's what tech support told me). I explained the situation and they told me that the best thing to do is either reimage the OS or install a new hard drive. They didn't even try to remote into the laptop much less offer a new hard drive. I think I'll talk to the owner and see if he wants a new hard drive and/or OS reinstalled.

Edit 1: Lenovo told me to go ahead and try to run the disk checker but it may not give accurate results. When I ran it, it failed 2 tests. So I think we will be looking at a new hard drive.

Edited by Falneth, 18 August 2012 - 08:57 AM.

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users