Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE and Chrome won’t work but Firefox does

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sag12

sag12

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

Is there some virus or malware that would stop IE and Chrome from working but allow Firefox to work? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 Bit, 2 GIGS RAM. I have run Malware Bytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and have found nothing. I did run sfc /scanall and it found some corrupted files but was unable to fix them. What advice can anyone give me? Please see attachments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:55 AM

> Tools
--> Internet Options
-->Connections
-->Click on LAN SETTINGS
- ->Uncheck where it says use a proxy server for a LAN.....
Be sure all boxes are unticked)
-->
--> Click Okay and you should be set.
--> Restart your IE
I would also check security settings....set them to the default.

No guarantees ........but worth a try.
{or...I could start quite a debate and simply say that this is because Firefox is the better browser !}

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 sag12

sag12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well we already know what the best browser is and it is not IE. :-) But I have already tried what you have suggested with no luck. I am still working to get IE and Chrome to work. I am thinking "Everrnote" might be the issue since it uses IE to synced and it is not working also.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi -
I use I.E. at least 95% of the time and accessed Biblegateway.com without any problem, just by entering it in Google
So we know that the site is up and easy enough to access (even on I.E.) -

Change sfc /scanall to just sfc /scannow and when finished, run a disk check also from the directions below

Go - Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right click and select Run as Administrator Type sfc /scannow and hit enter - List any files that are shown.
Next, do the same as above, but type chkdsk /r , hit Enter, type Y and Reboot the computer - Let all the 5 stages run -

Let us know in an hour or so how this worked -

#5 sag12

sag12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

I am running the sfc /scannow and will give you a reply when done. Thanks in advance for your help sir.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

I am thinking "Everrnote" might be the issue since it uses IE to synced and it is not working also.

I use Evernote extensively and not once have I used it synched with IE. Chrome and Opera, yes. With my Android phone, again yes. IE has never seen the likes of Evernote. This has been almost three years if I recall correctly. Feels like forever. I don't how how I managed without Evernote and my Android.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 sag12

sag12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Well I ran the sfc /scanow and the chkdsk /r after and still no luck. This is what "Evernote" said when i contacted them:

Dear Valued Customer,
If you're having trouble syncing with Evernote for Windows, a common cause is Internet Explorer being set to Offline Mode. Even though you may not use Internet Explorer as your primary web browser, Evernote for Windows uses the same components as Internet Explorer to access the Internet. If Internet Explorer is set to Offline Mode, you may also see an error message saying that "Windows Internet subsystem is in offline mode." when attempting to sync.
To ensure Internet Explorer is not running in Offline Mode, launch Internet Explorer and open the Tools menu; if the Work Offline option has a check mark next to it, click Work Offline to disable this behavior. If you're still unable to sync Evernote for Windows after making this change, you can contact our support department.
and yes I have tried everything they said, and I have let them know that I am still having issue. I am at this point going to un-install and maybe do a re-install if things work after the uninstall.

But I will wait some time just in case they get back to me with a fix other than there "Level one" support fix. :-)

#8 sag12

sag12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

I to love Evernote and my Droid. But if there is something going on (Corrupted file) or something, I have to get this fixed.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

But if there is something going on (Corrupted file) or something, I have to get this fixed.

Hi -
Try to run your computer with I.E. 9 as your main browser, just for a day or 2, then see if things are the same -
Open Internet Explorer, Click File (top right) check that you have not ticked "Work Offline" and then use Internet explorer, and check for Windows Updates -

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users