Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot fail, lsass.exe not loading

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Josiah23

Josiah23

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

I am an experienced home user, but I have a Lenovo G550 Laptop with with XP. I forgot the Admin password that I recently gave it, and tried to hack the password with a utility on a Ultimate BootCD 4Windows, boot disk. it didn't work and it upset windows somehow so it no longer goes to the Welcome screen. I have tried to do a safe mode "repair" boot, system restore etc, to no avail. It always goes to lsass.exe error . with a long error code.

I have downloaded a live CD for Ophcrack and can boot it up, but don't know how to use it yet, it is complicated. Is there anything easier for password reset? I don't need to know the old password, and there are no other users on the laptop, so a reset would be easier than decrypting

Thanks in advance
Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

with a long error code. <<<
Hi -
Any chance of you trying to note that error code so there is something we can look for ??
Now why did'nt you set the Admin password to Josiah23 :wink: it would have been easier to remember (only joking)
I think the general policy at most forums is not to give out any cracking information, like you are looking for - But I have GOOGLE for my searches -
Just be careful of the programs you install for your current problem, if you know what I mean, there are some nasty ones out there -

Meanwhile try to get the error code for us -

Thanks -
Read The Oph Guide and Review by Tim Fisher

Edited by noknojon, 17 August 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#3 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hello, thanks for fast reply. Fair comment about the cracking, and for the link to how to use.

The error windows comes up every time with a blue background, and says

lsass.exe - System Error

RED CROSS Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: A device attached to your sustem is not functioning. Error Satus: 0xc0000001.
Please clci OK to shutdown this system and reboot into SAfe Mode, check the event log for more detailed information.

Any Help?
Roger

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

"Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed" Error Message When You Start Windows XP
This is the version from Microsoft -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

FWIW: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-red-cross-antivirus .

Note the instruction: If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked below:

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

The forum reflecting the Prep Guide is the forum in which to post the requested logs.

Louis

#6 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Ok Problem Solved
and thankyou for the pointers,

USEFUL LESSONS HERE:
1. The error message I copied out above is the standard one that windows issues when the SAM file is missinng or corrupt (SAM= security accounts manager)

2. Window System Restore and Recovery Console are no use in this instance

3. Use some method to back up your files. I used Ultimate Boot CD 4 windows, and a flash drive to backup all of documents and settings. You can also install windows to the D: drive, so as to access the C Drive for backing up and editing the SAM file

4. Boot the computer up to a Cammand Prompt. I used the Ult Boot Cd above, and used Free Commander and cmd prompt. use the following instruction from MS:

2.Click Start, click Run, type cmd (or command if you are using Windows Me or Windows 98), and then click OK.
3.At the command prompt, type each of the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak (please note that it might be \temp\ not \tmp\)

delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam (cmd would not work "delete" for me so I used Free Commander, not trouble)
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

Note This procedure assumes that you have Windows XP installed in the following default location:
c:\windows

4.Restart the computer by using the original installation of Windows XP.

5. This then got the computer back to square one and it then booted beautifully into the windows desktop with no passworde required. However I believe in many instances I would have had to try again at hacking the old password.

6. In the first instance I should have downloaded a boot Live CD called Ophcrack, found at Sourse Forge

Hope this helps someone. Cheers

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users