Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ancient History...Windows XP (SP 1a?)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

HP Mini 110-1100 CTO PC
Windows XP Home
Intel ATOM
CPU: N270 @ 1.60GHz
1 Gig of Ram

I have posted on this interesting little laptop in the Hardware section after I sanitized the HDD. I am currently still having issues with getting the ICH 7 installed but have managed to get her online at least. However, I can not upgrade IE6 (yes 6) to anything newer due to the service pack not being at the 2nd level. However, in June of 2010 Microsoft stopped assistance with the SP2 and can't seem to find a download for it. I am not clear if I am to burn an ISO or have a down-loader install it. The operating system is very generic version of XP right now due to the possible SP1a being the current pack. It is hard to view today's technology with yesterday's viewing version as almost every web page needs to be debugged. :hysterical: I have begun to find humor in my inability to solve the enigma with this stupid laptop. I mentioned this in a different thread, but the things you do for your friends. I can't seem to do any type of updating due to the SP issues. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Nikki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

A weekend project for you to try -

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

That is a great weekend project ,Microsoft site for the sp3 download doesn't seem to work in that link above so i will post this new link to the sp3 download .i post sp3 because that what i use to slipstream whn i did it ,why do sp2 when sp3 is the latest . ,good luck
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

Edited by caperjac, 17 August 2012 - 05:20 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

SP3 Download

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#5 Nikki Rockstar

Nikki Rockstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

The reason I haven't gone to SP3 is because SP2 is a prerequisite for upgrading to SP3, per Microsoft.

Thank you guys for my weekend project. I will let you know the outcome. ;)

Best regards,

Nikki

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

SP2 is not a prerequisite for installing SP3...requirement is XP, SP1a.

"Q: Does SP3 include everything from SP1 and SP2 or do I need to install those first?
A: Though XP SP3 aggregates all of the previously-released XP fixes, Microsoft now says that you will need to install at least SP1 on XP before installing SP3. The company recommends installing SP2 first as well, though that is not required.
" , PER http://www.winsupersite.com/article/faqtip/windows-xp-service-pack-3-faq .

The only users who need to install SP2 first...are those who haven't updated their version to 1a. Those users need to install SP2, then SP3.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users