Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Re-access "run" Box From Safe Mode In Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi

Kiwi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'm having a repeat problem in closing out from Safe Mode in Xp Home Edition. No problem in getting in and using diagnostics in Safe Mode but find that much enlarged size of all data boxes obscure the "Run" box and prevent me from entering the Systems Configuration Utility to exit from Safe Mode !! Click & Drag does not work to uncover the box I need. Have had to resort to System Restore which is the only visible data available on screen but suppose this would negate any diagnostic changes I've made while in Safe Mode ? Guess I'm missing something obvious but help is much appreciated for this relative newbie ?? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

You can't change the resoultion in safe mode because you are not using
your regular video driver, and resolution info is stored in the
registry based upon the video card/driver being used. Safe Mode uses
a 16-it VGA driver.

You can try this and see if it will work on XP.

Hit the Alt key, RELEASE the Alt-Key (Alt-Space together also works), and then press the down
arrow. You are presented with a menu of Close or Move. Simply press
the Enter key. Notice that the mouse pointer jumps to the middle of
the title bar and is now a four headed arrow. At this point you can
move the window around with the cursor keys. Just click the mouse or
hit enter to put the cursor back to normal.

#3 Kiwi

Kiwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

Tks for your help - much appreciated ! Now I know it's a "resolution" problem. Since the resolution seems to be fixed in Safe Mode I have disabled 3 infrequently-used command boxes from the Start Menu and can now again access the "RUN" box and so exit from Safe Mode OK. This has freed-up more room on the Start Menu. Tks for your guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users