Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Default Search Engine Keeps Reverting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dunshster

Dunshster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

I am having problems with my firefox default search engine. Everytime I switch it to google, it reverts back to Bing if I restart my computer or my browser.

I have been able to fix the problem temporarily by following the steps below, however after a restart it reverts:

Step1: Type "about:config" into the url address bar.

Step2: Type "keyword.url"

Step3: Change the current setting (http://search.conduit.com/ResultsExt.aspx?ctid=CT2504091&SearchSource=2&q=) to google (http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=)

This works great until I restart, and then it goes back to search.conduit.com I have the latest version of firefox 14.1 and windows 7. Is there another place I need to change this setting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dunshster

Dunshster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

I have discovered the problem was due to a hidden toolbar I had no idea was installed. It is the Vuze Conduit toolbar. Once I uninstalled vuze and the firefox extension for the toolbar my problem was solved.

#3 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,392 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

I have discovered the problem was due to a hidden toolbar I had no idea was installed.

That is an excellent example of foistware being installed on a computer. To prevent this type of unwanted software in the future, please pay close attention to the dialog boxes as software is installed or even updated. Foistware will be disclosed in the EULA (End User License Agreement) of almost all software, though people do not read the EULA, they just click I agree and continue to install said software.

Thank you Dunshter for letting us know that you found the cause and resolved this problem.

Donna :thumbup2:

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users