Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greenfuse

Greenfuse

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hello. I've been registered with this site for a while and have visited--lurked?--fairly often, but never posted before. I think the reason I've been reluctant to post is that I'm not familiar with forums in general and find the different icons, protocols and conventions intimidating, like going into a strange bar, not knowing exactly how to act and not wanting to stand out. Fear of making a fool of myself(Ha!)essentially.

I'm 65, a retired ne'er-do-well, living on an extremely meager pension... but I'm clean and polite and most of the sores have healed up. I have been fooling around with computers off and on since the early 80s, first with a TI 99/4A, then with an Apple II and onto a Gateway 386 with the first Windows, what was it: 3.something? But... I got away from them for a few years and am just now getting back into it. My kids got me a Walmart Gateway laptop for Father's Day and, well, here I am. Prior to that I had been using a 15 year old desktop with XP and crappy, intermittent broadband connection. That machine was how I learned about BC, trying to hunt down information about various problems. What an education!

Anyway, I'm here, it's now and I've got this new(ish) notebook and want to learn stuff. The only problem I'm having is with the touchpad and I'll bring that up in another topic or line item or whatever it's called.

Re-reading this prior to posting it, it's apparent that I've overcome my fear of making a fool of myself. Greenfuse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hello Greenfuse and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the Tutorials section.

How to use the Bleeping Computer Discussion Forums

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Greenfuse

Greenfuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Roger: Thanks for the links. The one about the discussion boards is great, like a hitting the light switch in a blacked-out funhouse.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Glad they helped.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users