Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore from an external CD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisRS

ChrisRS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm not very technical, so please be gentle with me!

I would be most grateful for some advice please.

My old but trustworthy Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista decided to crash and the power ran out during my attempt to recover. First of all, it wouldn't do anything, but now it gets as far as giving me the usual four options including spending $9.99 (via PayPal, so credit card is safe!!) at SystemDiscs.com, but their disk only takes me to a place showing two recent system dumps, but not proper System Restore Points.

The NORMAL or LAST WORKING versions crash with a Blue-Screen-Of-Death and the SAFE MODE option remains in suspended animation after a line including "CRCDISK.SYS. I haven't tried SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT as I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do with the command prompt, it presumably not being edible.

I also tried the AVG Rescue CD (also downloaded and burnt on another computer) and while it appears that the hard drive is ok and the file structures can be seen to be intact, etc., there's no option to rebuild or return to a previous Restore Point.

I can't find a legal and safe copy of the Windows Vista Install CD to download, so I can't reinstall the system (the licence (license if you are American!!) number is still on the sticker, so that wouldn't be a problem.

What I would really like to find (and I don't mind paying a little for it) is a utility that will boot the computer then find and use a known System Restore Point.

I would be most grateful if anyone please knows of such a utility - or from where I can legally and safely download a Vista CD "iso" as I understand that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have stopped selling it or permitting it to be downloaded. Clearly, to buy one would either mean spending a fortune worthy of a house mortgage at PCWorld or waiting for an eBay purchased one (which would probably just be a copy anyway).

I may well be going about this the wrong way, but I suspect I'm looking for is a downloadable bootable CD that has the System Restore function enabling me to restore the system from a command whilst running on the CD.

I really would be pleased if anyone is able to decipher my problem and offer what to you is probably the most obvious and simplest of solutions.

Thank you in anticipation and I trust I'm not considered to be too rude in asking for help from strangers.

Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChrisRS

ChrisRS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Oh, I should have said that the SAFE MODE hangs on CRCDISK.SYS for a bit before also descending into the depressive depths of the Blue-Screen-of-Death.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

I have dealt with Toshiba but I've never heard of systemdiscs.com. It isn't Toshiba!

but now it gets as far as giving me the usual four options including spending $9.99 (via PayPal, so credit card is safe!!) at SystemDiscs.com

Less Expensive.
From Toshiba How to order replacement recovery media

Recovery media can be ordered online. Click here to begin the order process. There is no charge for the software itself, for which customers already own licenses, and as of 11/5/11 the shipping and handling charges for delivery of recovery media in the US is $29.95 for DVD media or $39.95 for USB sticks.

That will put the laptop back to as delivered windows and software.

More expensive would be to buy windows 7 and go to Toshiba for all the drivers and software to use Win7. Your should be new enough that they do provide them.

Hope this helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 ChrisRS

ChrisRS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Thank you very much, Roger. Unfortunately, whenever one tries to search for anything on the Toshiba site, one either receives a notice stating, "Error on Search Entry Widget" or a 404 Error, page not found. Having said that, I DID find it once, but I'm really trying to find a solution in hours rather than days, weeks or centuries. We are in such a backwater here that even the emails are delivered by horse and cart.

I'm a writer, so the the computer is more than fast enough - and Vista adequate enough for everything I do - there's no need for faster or newer systems or the power needed for gaming, for instance.

I haven't tried to create a start-up CD or DVD from this computer (this is a newer Satellite, but on System 7 and which holds one of my sets of data backups). It's just that there is a couple of days' worth of work on the other computer and also some un-backed up emails I would prefer not to lose.

I wonder - if I were to create a Windows Start-up CD from this machine, would it enable me to do a "System Restore" on the other machine without actually getting into the Vista on there?

Is there anything else I can download or do to run the restore function please?#

Thank you.

Chris.

#5 ChrisRS

ChrisRS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Update: The startup/recovery DVD created from this computer (system 7) seems to do something, but doesn't actually work in repairing the Vista, so it is still unsolved.

It seems that I may have to bite the bullet and get a CD from Toshiba.

There are lots of links to iso files on the Internet, but I can't find one that isn't broken or dodgy in some way or another. It particularly irritates me because I'm not in any way trying to cheat, just get back to a working copy of something for which I've paid and for which I have a full and current licence to use.

In order to get it more quickly, I'm wondering whether it is worth spending 10 (about US$20) on eBay to get what is probably a dodgy one.

Oh well, here goes ... I will let you know if I come up with another solution so that others can be helped by it.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

edit

Edited by rotor123, 17 August 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hello ChrisRS,

You could attempt to run a check disk on the Vista machine using the Windows 7 Repair Disk that you recently made.

• Please boot the Vista computer with the Windows 7 Repair Disk.
  • If you see a message: Press any key to boot from CDROM....... press <Enter>.
  • Select Keyboard, then press Next.
  • It should find your Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista.
  • Under Location, please note the letter for your Hard Drive (it may not be C: ). You will need this drive letter for the check disk command to follow.
  • Click Next and you will be presented with the System Recovery Options Menu.
  • Click Command Prompt.
  • At the X:\windows\system32> type: chkdsk C: /R and press <Enter>. (substitute the letter under Location from above if different than C: ) (note the space after chkdsk and after C: )
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, could take several hours to complete, and may at times appear to freeze. Check Disk should not be interrupted.
  • When finished, a summary will be presented. Note any errors. Restart the computer and attempt to boot into normal windows.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users