Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player won't load

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MokÚ85

MokÚ85

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

When I select Windows Media Player or "Play With" for any of my music nothing happens. I went into control panel and selected "turn windows features On or Off" and switched of media player, rebooted and then switched it back on again, rebooted again and it still won't work. I have a lot of other problems with my laptop too such as slow running, constant crashing and freezing, not starting up properly. I've done countless virus checks and not come up with anything. Most of these problems I've had since I bought the laptop but the media player has only just happened. If anyone can help me I'd be very grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Is the laptop still under warranty?

It doesn't sound good that you've had these problems since you bought it.

Did you buy it new?

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MokÚ85

MokÚ85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi Roger, thanks for getting back to me so fast. Alas it is no longer under warranty. I bought it new from PC world. I took it back in the first week due to the start up problems and they said it just needed software updates. I took it home and it still had the same problems. Due to my work it made it hard to take it back again however I did so within the first 30 days only they said that as I had installed things on it they couldn't be sure if the problems I was experiencing were not my own fault and I would be charged ú70 for them to look at it. Needles to say, I didn't pay them ú70 and 3 years on I'm still mad at myself for not just taking it back to begin with.

Anyway, what I'd really like is just to get the media player working again. Do you think you could help me?

Thanks
Suzee

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have some generic suggestions, firstly what make and model is it?

Is the Antivirus the latest version and are the virus signature current. Have you done a recent scan?
Can you do windows security updates, there a bunch released Tuesday (Patch Tuesday). They showed up on my systems Wednesday.

Can you try a different player instead of WMP? VLC media player is what I use for everything.

VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. VLC can also convert, capture/record and be used as a server to stream

It might do for you while the WMP problem is worked on.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 16 August 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 MokÚ85

MokÚ85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Ok, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron M5030. I recently upgraded from my free Avast! antivirus to the paying version which updates every time I boot up. There is also a free McAfee antivirus software running which I don't mind uninstalling. I don't know what a virus signature is I'm afraid. I ran Spybot today which found nothing and did a boot scan with Avast! a week or so ago and haven't used my laptop much since. I don't know how to do a windows security update, it normally just does it automatically. I know my flash player is out of date but that's because I down graded as the most recent version was preventing me from watching any streaming videos thanks to it's new security measures.

I have VLC and that works just fine, as does itunes. It's just that my preferred choice due to familiarity would be WMP and I have no idea why it stopped working.

If there's anything you could suggest I try short of taking my laptop in somewhere to have it looked at that would be great. I've used this site before and really appreciate all you guys do. Just please be patient with me and spell things out step by step as I'm not so computer savvy!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Can you do a system restore back to before the WMP problem happened?

Windows 7 system restore is under All Programs, Accessories, System tools.

For what its worth I like the VLC for several reasons. Built in equalizer, Mouse on the timeline and the scroll wheel moves ahead or back. Mouse elsewhere and the scroll wheel controls volume. Can control video, tint, brightness, contrast, sharpness and more. Not to mention all the needed codecs are built in.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 MokÚ85

MokÚ85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Ok, did system restore but in order to get WMP to work, I had to go back 2 months. Unfortunatly I had upgraded my Avast! anti-virus only a month ago and when I did the system restore it lost the information on this. I couldn't figure out how to update my anti-virus without having to pay for it all over again so I undid the system restore. Avast! is now working again but WMP is not. Now I think about it, I haven't used WMP since I upgraded my Avast! Also, now the WMP icon is missing from the bar at the bottom where I pinned it and is also missing from the bar up the top (not sure what this is called).

Thank you for your patience,

Suzee

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Sorry to be delayed getting back to you, I managed to overlook this.

having said that, If you get in touch with of Avast, they should be able to explain how to go back to where WMP works and then do the AVAST upgrade free.

avast! Customer & Technical Support Just Select Your Product:

Call: +1 866 951 7679

Free telephone support for installation, configuration, and trouble-shooting is now available for your avast! product. Call toll-free from the US.

Request Support

Submit a support-request ticket and benefit from better tracking and more language options.

User forums

Visit User Forum
Ask (or answer) questions of hundreds of other avast! users online.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 August 2012 - 10:24 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 MokÚ85

MokÚ85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thank you Roger, you've been a great help. I love this website, everyone is always so friendly and willing to help!

Suzee

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 garcarstive

garcarstive

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

I always prefer for playing some music with window media player. This music player is best for listening the song and always try to make some best music for your player. I like to use this type of players where I pay the song.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users