Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Small Partition - Now Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Have an XP which stuck on "Verifying DMI Pool Data.."

There was a partition of 5Mb which couldn't be read via a linux Live CD, so I assumed it was corrupted and deleted it in the hope of creating a new partition on the unpartitioned space

Reloaded the XP setup CD and now only see the main partition with the OS on it, so I can't replicate that 5Mb partition (which must have some Boot function?)

Now when I boot, I get DISK BOOT FAILURE....

Does XP really need an extra partition to boot from ?

I tried FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and comes back with an error
When the small partition was there - FIXBOOT would ask about drive E...

Any ideas ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

i think/pretty sure the 5mb was the harddrives cache , the small amount of space designated for buffering and such,and should not have been deleted ,

Edited by caperjac, 17 August 2012 - 05:24 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

Any idea on how to get it back....

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

You can try a repair install. XP does not, by design, need a second partition.

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

as for this:

i think/pretty sure the 5mb was the harddrives cache , the small amount of space designated for buffering and such,and should not have been deleted ,

Perhaps it's my own ignorance, but I've never heard of such a thing.

Edited by Allan, 17 August 2012 - 07:16 AM.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

pick one ,most have the same info in them .
https://www.google.ca/search?q=hard+drive+cache+size+importance&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

#7 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

You can try a repair install. XP does not, by design, need a second partition.

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

as for this:

Perhaps it's my own ignorance, but I've never heard of such a thing.

I tried a repair reinstall - it completes but keeps going in a loop

When CD taken out it still says BOOT FAILURE

Gonna try a new HDD with fresh install of windows to see if it is MB related or HDD

Will report back

PS - tried to use a Bootable Partition Logic CD to adjust partitions and it reported no Disks found ??!

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hard+drive+cache+size+importance&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Hi,

The Hard Drive cache isn't something you can see or delete by using a partition manager software.

@leachim: Just for curiosity where has the 5 MB partition, at the beginning or end of the disk?
Can you post the System manufacturer and model like Louis ask?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

I deleted the 5 mb partition using a windows setup disk

Not sure where the 5mb was, I think it was listed after the main partition

Installed a new hdd using xp setup disk and that is fine

Put back the original and BOOT FAILURE - even tho I can read all the files with a linux disk

Comp was a self build - 200Gb Maxtor and Gigabyte m55plus s3g M.B.

Leads me to think the HDD needs some attention to be recognised....

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,988 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

The Hard Drive cache isn't something you can see or delete by using a partition manager software.

@leachim: Just for curiosity where has the 5 MB partition, at the beginning or end of the disk?

Maybe the problem is the HDD doesn't have one active partition. Now that you have the machine working with another HDD i suggest you put the disk as second drive (don't know if its IDE or SATA) and using windows you can run chkdsk against the "Bad disk" drive and also set the partition active using the disk manager.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

The hd does not need - OR USE - a separate partition for caching. Caching is a transparent operation. ♦

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

The hd does not need - OR USE - a separate partition for caching. Caching is a transparent operation. ♦

yeah ,i realize that now ,my bad

#13 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

BANG ON

The partition was not set as active !

Now boots OK, but has some issues with remnants of a virus, so I will get back if I need help

Cheers

:clapping:

Hi,

Maybe the problem is the HDD doesn't have one active partition. Now that you have the machine working with another HDD i suggest you put the disk as second drive (don't know if its IDE or SATA) and using windows you can run chkdsk against the "Bad disk" drive and also set the partition active using the disk manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users