Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dogsandcats

dogsandcats

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

Can I completely remove WMP from Windows XP Pro? If so, how? Is there a comprehensive media player available, preferably freeware, that will do EVERTHING??? Please!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

While I do not know how to remove Windows Media Player, I can give you a GREAT freeware media player:

Winamp 5.21

This does just about everything WMP can do...and if it doesn't, you can probably find a plugin to make it do that :thumbsup: !!! I love Winamp, because its easy to use, and it isn't a CPU hog like WMP. Enjoy!!!

#3 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

WMP is hard to remove entirely, as it forms part of XP installation. However you can remove it in 'Add and Remove windows components'. You can also by-pass it by the settings in 'properties' of your cd rom drive.
There are a number of free download applications which duplicate or supplement the function of WMP. These are Quick Player (itunes), Musicmatch, Real Player, Winamp, etc. Each of these varies in their fuctions, and some will convert .wav files to .mp3, etc. Some will offer extra for a monthly cost, but most offer a basic playing facility for free. I would try them all until you find one you like. Be warned the free ones have minor annoyances of ads etc.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:25 AM

Removing anything that is a built in part of your op system can cause unintended problems.

If you don't want to use it, disable it in the start menu, but I would suggest leaving it installed.

Use Startup Inspector to regulate your start menu. It is better than msconfig as it identifies most aps so you don't accidently disable something critical - like your firewall, anti-virus-antimalware aps or critical Windows processes.
http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

As mentioned in the other posts there are many alternatives you can use.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 March 2006 - 03:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users