Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I ejected my USB flash drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Okay so I finished transferring files to my new 128GB USB flash drive. I also wanted to create a backup, so I hooked up an old portable 1TB external hard drive.

While copying files directly from the flash drive to the EHD.. the transfer eventually completed, but the USB drive still flashed for 30 minutes. Once the flashing finally stopped, I tried ejecting it through 'My Computer'.. ejecting it twice for good measure, just to make sure it ejected right the first time. The solid light never went off, but I think that is normal for this particular product.

I never thought to check the EHD light, only because it has never given me any 'eject' options before. I just shut down my computer and pull it out that way.

Anyway, a couple days later I plug in the USB flash drive, and my computer suddenly wants to check the drive for errors? I selected the 1st option and hit start:
(I'm on Windows 7, this is just an example pic)
Posted Image

..about 30 minutes later I got this message:
Posted Image

So basically, I'm wondering if I lost or corrupted any files during this whole transfer/copying process? I have so many files on it, I am unable to tell what or where the damage (if any) has been done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I never use "safely remove" for flash drives (I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, just that I doubt there are any issues). Also, W7 often wants to scan usb flash drives when they are inserted - I always say no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users