Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove keylogging spyware from Win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JMASTERJ

JMASTERJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

When I was on XP, I was pretty sure I had a keylogging spyware for a while... but it never really bit me, i.e., no identity theft, no "weird" events... then I upgraded to Win 7 Pro 64bit recently, and it still seems to be there.

The reason I know is because I get spam... lots of it, which in itself is acceptable. However, there are times I get spams with titles/content that has certain keywords that have only just recently been used by me, words that no one could have known except through my emails or documents I had written. I use Thunderbird and MS Office 2010.

I am an IT professional, although not full time now as I do more graphic/web design, so I dont keep up with the modern software as much as I would like to. I have done the obvious in the past 2-3 years, scanned with AVG, avast, Norton Endpoint/AV/Internet Security, Trend Micro, Super Antispyware, Spybot, Malwarebytes, Spyware Doctor, Adaware, HijackThis, and of course browsing through the Programs folder/List.

I have just heard to try either TDSSKiller or aswMBR, but I am not certain that is the way to go... any help would be appreciated....

Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

You can avoid getting spam by following some simple rules.
First, the best and surest way to get rid of spam is to get new email addresses. Stop using
the ones that are being spammed. It is even possible to delete some email accounts.
Second, NEVER post your email address online. NEVER
Third, NEVER open an email that you don't know who it is from. Opening a spam email tells
the sender that they have "a live one" and will send even more spam.

Block third party cookies aka ad/ tracking cookies in every browser you use. Suggest using
Firefox that you can install two addons in that block ads and scripting of driveby malware installs.
The addons are NoScript and Adblock Plus.

Hotmail allows you to have up to 5 alias accounts. I use an alias when signing up to
interact with a new website. That allows me to see what if any spam the site generates and the alias
accounts are easily removed. Hotmail also does a good job of controlling spam. Simply send spam to the
junk folder and Hotmail will block it if the same domain attempts to send more spam.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 JMASTERJ

JMASTERJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

You can avoid getting spam by following some simple rules.
First, the best and surest way to get rid of spam is to get new email addresses. Stop using
the ones that are being spammed. It is even possible to delete some email accounts.
Second, NEVER post your email address online. NEVER
Third, NEVER open an email that you don't know who it is from. Opening a spam email tells
the sender that they have "a live one" and will send even more spam.

Block third party cookies aka ad/ tracking cookies in every browser you use. Suggest using
Firefox that you can install two addons in that block ads and scripting of driveby malware installs.
The addons are NoScript and Adblock Plus.

Hotmail allows you to have up to 5 alias accounts. I use an alias when signing up to
interact with a new website. That allows me to see what if any spam the site generates and the alias
accounts are easily removed. Hotmail also does a good job of controlling spam. Simply send spam to the
junk folder and Hotmail will block it if the same domain attempts to send more spam.

Thank you for your time but I am not sure if you actually read my post. I need to know of the best way to scan and remove the obvious malware. I use TB bec I have my own domains and custom emails... I will not use hotmail or any generic web based emails that already sell your email to third parties. Gmail is the only other web mail I have which I use for a specific purpose and would recommend to any of my clients since I have received about one spam mail there in the last 5 years and from hotmail I have received thousands. I cannot change my main email for a while because it is tied into many different accounts etc., none of which are spammy accounts. With my domain I can create a million different email addresses which use for any site/purchase that I do not 100% trust. My main email is only used for family, friends, and the top accounts like banks etc...

As stated, I am have been an IT professional for over a decade, who's knowledge might be out of date... I need advice on the latest and best root kit/virus scanning solution. Thank you.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Others will help you to look for a possible rootkit.

I did read your post....carefully.

All my email accounts...Google, Yahoo and Hotmail are free online accounts. I have never had a spam problem. Never.
I simply follow the advice I posted earlier.

I was about to edit my first post with this: Be sure that you have only one antivirus active on your comp. Suggest
you uninstall all but one and Spybot S&D.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 JMASTERJ

JMASTERJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

Thanks... right now I just have Trend and sometimes run Superantispyware... I never run more than one AV and one Anti-spyware at a time. I rotate my anti-malware software every 6-12 months.

Not sure how you exactly operate your computer routines but you would be the first and only person I have ever talked to who have never received spam... probably a worthy title to a book if you are interested in writing one! I would have to spend major $$$ on enterprise quality routers with government level security/firewalls, my co-habitants and I would have to constantly deal with giving permission to every new web/internet process we need to access, and micromanage everything I do on my PC every day including all my online purchasing, services, (or just never purchase or sign up for anything online) etc. to guarantee no spam, which is out of the scope of 99.999% of users out there. I dont mind spam, TB does a great job of adding to junk mail... my problem is the keylogging going on right now, which is obviously on a whole another level of a security breach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users