Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does a MemTest relate to the condition of my hardware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

How does a MemTest relate to the condition of my hardware?

Here is my current situation. Here's what I did: [I have 2 RAM sticks]
> I ran MemTest 3.5
> Both RAM sticks at same time: Fail, 1 sec
> Isolate Single RAM Stick Diagnostic Test, #1 RAM Stick
Run Time: 13 hours, #Passes: 51
No errors
> Isolate Single RAM Stick Diagnostic Test, #2 RAM Stick
Run Time: 12 hours
No errors

NOTE
My computer hasn't been able to run/install any OS for 2 months. It has been crashed because of this no RAM issue.

What does this mean?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

MemTest86+ is the usual test to run on your RAM sticks -
See this post from Artrooks http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464949.html/page__view__findpost__p__2805664
It should have the links for you -

RAM sticks are generally cheap these days and if you use a pair, make sure they are a Matched Pair, not just random sticks
Mixed sticks have been the cause of a few problems at times. Currently running 2 Kingston sticks in my XP -

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Maybe another worth trying also is use the other slot and check again.

Tekken

#4 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Did you make any changes to your bios in relation to overclocking the ram or the motherboard?

have you also tried to reset the bios to default settings?(or even update the bios)

sounds as if it could be voltage related if both sticks work on their own but fail together..

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

Awesome link -- with that Diagnostic Technique, I should be able to pinpoint exactly what hardware is in error. Great link dude. Thanx much! You are a real problem solver!!

Jhayz,
Didn't think of that. Good idea.

No, I haven't done any OVERCLOCKING, as this can, in some cases, lead to a fried mobo. This is why I tend to shy away from this technique, though it has been tempting to be able to enhance my computer's performance, I have to admit. I heard that with overclocking, you can turn a 700 MHz computer into a 1.2 Gig equivolent in capability computer!

I don't have a CMOS battery, so the BIOS is automatically on the default settings.

I haven't "updated" the BIOS, but I have thought about getting a newer one. But I don't really see the point since, it wouldn't really do much and my BIOS already works. Besides, a failed attempt with a BIOS installation could potentially cause my system to crash -- or worse; if it did not go well!!!! :blink:

And as far as the Voltage, you could be right: both the ram sticks are not the same brand. However, when I wrote down ALL of the numbers on them, I noticed that they were both 94v-0, if that means anything [Voltage]?

Capain Kirk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users