Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you install multiple OS's?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

My computer crashed last time, and I lost 20 gigs of data. None of this was able to be recovered! So I want a backup plan. If my system crashes, I want a backup OS on a different partition that I can boot to.

Therefore, I want to be running two OS's at the same time. I only have XP, Puppy, Mint, Fedora, Dos 7.1, and Dos 4 to work with.

Does anybody know how to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Why not clone or back up your data to an external drive? This way if the hard drive fails you don't lose the backed up data on the partition as well. With a backup application you can use a created boot disk and restore from the latest image of your OS and data. I make weekly incremental backups. So the worst data loss I could have is just since the last backup which is no more than 7 days or less. And since it's all on an external drive, if I lose my drive I can swap the dead drive out and restore the image completely.

Just sayin...

If you still want to dual boot thats fine too. Someone else with more experience will have to guide you on that path. I know just enough to bungle my own system up. I wouldn't trust myself to teach you my way.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Why not just create a Linux Live CD that can boot Linux off of the CD?

Which Distro Is Right For Me?

Why have two operating systems on the same drive. If the drive dies they are both lost.

As animal says you want to have your important data in at least two different places.

I put anything I want to save on My external drive, and a Optical disk. CD blank or DVD blank or BluRay blank. That way it is on the computer hard drive, the external drive and a optical disk. for example the 25Gb Verbatim blanks I use are $32 for 25 pack. A very good brand and HTL not LTH. So that is a $1.28 per 25 GB backed up.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

I don't mind if you show me a method to be able to install 2 OS's if both can be booted, or at least either one if the other if not functioning; which is what you use yourself. I'll see if I can use it, it will work with me, and experiment with it. It would be interesting to see how you do it. You don't have to teach me how to run 2 OS's at the same time, just tell me the basic idea -- that would really help. I am good enough at computers that I could figure out the rest myself or fill in the blanks. Or it give me some ideas as to how I could do it a different way.

I have already made a clone and have back up ALL of my data.

It is true that it does sound obvious to be able to run a live CD; however, I am running a Compaq Evo N610c. I don't know if this means anything to you or not, or are familiar with this type of "finicky" computer, but if I format the hd and put in Windows, it will act like it does not see it. However, the "rescue" disk that I use to be able to EVEN install a single OS on it initially is Knoppex. And sometimes, even the "rescue" disk does not work unless I take out the hd, install Windows on it IN another computer, and then switch it back, and THEN I am "able" to use the rescue disk. In conclusion, it is difficult to install an OS on the hd if it is formatted. I have made a clone [which will be plan B; I have not tested it to see if the OS will boot when the clone is restored]; and plan A will be the second OS if my system crashes.

Since I will have 2 partitions, with one OS on a separate drive, if EACH OS was able to boot on its own, then even if my system crashes and one OS goes down, I can still boot into the second OS. This is plan A.

I've only heard of 4.20 Gig DVD's. What did you say? Did I hear you correctly? You said there was a disk that was BIGGER than a 4.2? When did this come out? I have never heard of it. Whenever I go to the store to get new DVD's, I ALWAYS look at the entire selection, and I "never" see anything better than a 4.2
One possibility that I can think of is that if you are in another part of the US, and it just came out within the last year, maybe it just hasn't gotten to this part of the united states yet. I can think of no other explaination.

NOTE
I have run into very sticky situations, one of which involved my DVD being disabled; which would effectively eliminate the live CD possibility. I have this program that creates a "virtual drive"; this program and another one does the exact same thing, "disabling" my DVD drive. The program ALSO did this one my other computer, so it is not just the computer itself. I occassionally NEED to use this program to perform certain tasks, though now I am "very" hestitant to do so.. This doesn't happen every time, but I like to prepare for every contingency. Plus it was a real pain to fix. My computer was down for 2 months last time!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Capain Kirk

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

As long as you have a dual layer DVD writer you can use the 8.5Gb Dual Layer DVDs. Verbatim brand seems to work best.

25Gb and 50Gb is available for use in BluRay writers.

You can burn CDs, DVDs, and Bluray disks in a BLuRay writer.
You can burn CDs and DVDs in a DVD writer.
You Can only burn CDs in a CD writer.

By The way I'm not sure where you get 4.30Gb for a Single layer 4.7Gb DVD blank. Even Microsoft says they hold 4.36Gb.

Compaq Evo N610c are not finicky as far as I know. Your drive may be getting flakey however.
I've never seen a computer that was made for windows that could not be loaded easily unless there was a hardware problem.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

Yes, I just looked, it IS 4.7 technically, though what you can actually fit on it is less than that. Just like with hd's. If you get a 80 gig hd, when you look at how much space that you can actually use on it, you really only have about 75 Gigs or so. No matter what drive or disk that it is, it is ALWAYS less that what it says for the amount of data that you can store on the device.

I heard that they make 4.7 DVD's that are 5 layers deep, but I have not been able to find any. But if you do happen to get a hold of some of these, its not going to do you any good unless you have a special DVD drive that is able to use a "5 layer" disk; otherwise it will just treat it as one layer! Do blueRay drives look like normal DVD drives phyically? Can you install in into a computer system, or do you need a separate console to do this?

Normally, I would count this pecularity with the Compaq as a possible drive issue, EXCEPT that it is able to install linux, but not windows, and only under specific conditions. Also, in addition to this info, I have heard that people are saying that the compaq does not like windows, where errors have been known to arrise in correlation with windows.

However, I HAVE replaced the DVD drive, so we will see if you are right... :cold:

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

I've never heard of a five layer DVD, if there were such a thing it wouldn't be 4.7Gb. The Norm is single layer 4.7Gb or Dual layer 8.5GBThat is all you can buy as blanks. There are a few exceptions online such as the smaller physically blanks. They hold less.

The BluRay writers or readers for computers are SATA interface and fit the same space as a DVD writer.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

A dual layer 8.5 Gig would be a 17 Gig DVD. You said something about a 25-50Gig DVD?

I didn't know that you could install a BlueRay drive into a computer!!

So you don't know how to install 2 OS's on separate partitions that are capable of booting independent of eachother? :cold:

Capain Kirk

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

A dual layer 8.5 Gig would be a 17 Gig DVD. You said something about a 25-50Gig DVD?

I didn't know that you could install a BlueRay drive into a computer!!

So you don't know how to install 2 OS's on separate partitions that are capable of booting independent of eachother? :cold:

Capain Kirk

You are missing the point, it is not two layers of 8.5GB it is 2 layers that total 8.5Gb.

Next point is that 25Gb is BluRay single layer, 50Gb is BluRay Dual layer. Two layers that equal 50Gb total. BluRay is not DVD and needs a BluRay drive.

You can buy BluRay readers or Writers for desktop computers and for Laptop computers.

I'm afraid someone else will have to help you with dual boot setup. You could visit our Linux & Unix forum for help with Linux. The two version of DOS you mentioned can not read your windows files.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 August 2012 - 11:12 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#10 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thnx for the tip.

Wow, my gosh man, I didn't know that bluerays were 50 gigs!!!!!!!!!! :chef:

Can blueray players play other kind of disks, such as CD's and DVD's, or they can only play blueray's? They are not backwards compatible.

Edited by James T Kirk, 21 August 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

25Gb is BluRay single layer, 50Gb is BluRay Dual layer. The dual layer are expensive.

Computer BluRay readers can read CD, DVD and BluRay. Computer BluRay Writers can read or write CD, DVD or BluRay blanks.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users