Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just installed Windows 8 on my Acer Iconia W500 Tablet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I installed Windows 8 RTM on my Acer Iconia W500 Tablet today. I have to say for a tablet OS I am really pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying it. The interface happens to be pretty slick and responsive and the fact that I have a full featured OS under the shell makes it even better.

As a desktop machine, I am still wary as to how this is going to be. I can't imaging want to use the Metro interface as my main shell to the computer and the lack of the start menu really is a pita for most users.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

I am still using Preview edition. Yeah, I was pissed at not being able to use start menu. But there are so many Start Menu alternatives. Especially the one from Stardock http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ is fabulous.
I guess, people would get used to not using Start Menu overtime.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have wi8 enterprise installed on a dell OptiPlex 745 sff ,and after only 2 days am getting use to it .it boots to the start ,but I just click on the icon for desktop and work from there ,IE and file explorer are pinned to toolbar, I have pined a few other program/apps to the toolbar like.windows live mail and snipit, wmp and windows defender ,and install some shortcuts on the desktop and don't even need to go to the start screen that often .

also like the boot time ,20 sec to the start screen

Edited by caperjac, 23 August 2012 - 12:49 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

I agree boot time is great, but at the same time I just don't see the need to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 unless your on a tablet. Windows 8, hands down, is awesome on a tablet.

If you are on a desktop, and the first thing you do when you see the start screen is click on Desktop, then Windows 8 is just not for you.

It would have been much smarter imho if they had made a tablet version/config and a standard desktop with start menu.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

I agree boot time is great, but at the same time I just don't see the need to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 unless your on a tablet. Windows 8, hands down, is awesome on a tablet.

If you are on a desktop, and the first thing you do when you see the start screen is click on Desktop, then Windows 8 is just not for you.

It would have been much smarter imho if they had made a tablet version/config and a standard desktop with start menu.

agree totally ,I have free TechNet/msdn subscriptions, I would likely never had bought win8 and likely would not ever had bought win7 for that matter , unless it came installed on a new computer

also I find IE10 very quick .so far

Edited by caperjac, 23 August 2012 - 01:29 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Franklin1

Franklin1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

best thing about win8 is that it is a fully featured OS that can run on tablets...meaning you can use all the applications you normally use on your desktops on the tablets and don't have to find alternatives for the tablet, as opposed to, e.g.: ipad...etc but I think the tablet has to be running intel processors for the desktop applications to work on tablets running win8..anyone correct me if I am wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users