Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help! MSE virus!?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xmisskel

xmisskel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

I recently downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials and now I think I have some sort of virus. Within minutes of logging onto my computer, a message keeps popping up that there is a critical error and that the computer will restart within one minute. I have tried to do anything I possibly can to get rid of this issue! It does the same thing while booting up in safemode as well. I also tried to restore my computer to a previous date before this occurred, and it still keeps happening. I figured i'd try to restore it to factory settings also, but it does not give me the option while booting up (f11), or on my control panel. I also tried using the TDSSkiller but my computer reboots before the scanning/fixing finishes. I have read that other people have run into this issue on the forums, but most solutions posted are individual specific.

By the way I am not super computer savvy so if you have a solution for me can you break the instructions down for me?
Can someone please, please help me?

Thank you, thank you!

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 August 2012 - 07:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlexhadCake

AlexhadCake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi xmisskel!

Can I ask where Microsoft Security Essentials was downloaded from?
This will help me confirm that you've downloaded a legitimate copy of MSE.

*moderator edit:deleted references to run TDSS and Hijack This - Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 August 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Added to Unbootable list.

Hamluis

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Hello, and sorry for the delay! Could you please let me know what version of Windows this is?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users