Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet speed fluctuates, drop very fast, up and down all day

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AOTS84

AOTS84

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hello, I apologize for my terrible English, thank you for reading and help me.

I am using Window Vista, DSL Internet.
My internet for the past week is not good. Throughout the whole day my internet fluctuates, up and down fluctuates speed all day. My DSL download speed always been good, I always get 300KB/sec stable speed, until last week suddenly it start to drop from 300KB/sec down to 6KB/sec, :blink: This is a big change, something is definately wrong.

I call my Verizon DSL, they do a line test on their side and they say my Modemn recieve good signal, also the DSL light on my modemn is always solid, so I am sure it recieve good signal. I also try update all the drives (it say all your drive to up to date) and I try unplugging modemn for like 2 hours and plug it back in. The Verizon DSL also reset my whole modemn, and the problem still persist. (so it definately not modemn issue)

I also do a Safe Mode Networking with Verizon, I run my computer in Safe Mode Networking, and the internet speed still drop dramatically starting from 300KB/s down to 6KB/s . Since I am on Safe Mode Networking and this problem still exist, it is definately not any software conflict.

I also scan my computer with numerous of anti-virus: Norton, mcAfee, Kaspersky, Housecall, Esset, including Malwarebyte and lavasoft, and found Nothing!! No virus, no spyware! (Unlikely it is virus issue)

I have try many different browser and all the same, very slow download speed. I also do a Pingtest.net and I have a F+ grade, it is something wrong
I have try IE, Chrome and Mozilla, all download speed are very slow.

Also, for example, when I go to a voice chat room, I also get the message say internet is not stable, please check your internet connection.

So all that has rules out, now the only option left I can think of is something wrong with my Vista hardware. How can I know if something is wrong with my hardware?
My computer is very hot though, and it have some sound like something is running inside. Maybe my computer is overheated? How to know if the NIC or network card inside my computer is not working correctly?

My internet so slow right now, I am so frusterated, any opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by AOTS84, 16 August 2012 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

suddenly it start to drop from 300kb/sec down to 6kb/sec

Hi -
I am sure this is not correct, as Download speed is recorded in Mbps , not Kbps -
If the speed was below 6Mbps then it is a major worry, as you would not have very good reception -

Even at 6Mbps you should get a reading from SpeedTest.
Is the computer Wired to a Modem or is it Wireless when you have these problems ??
Can you plug the computer into the Modem and see if there is better speeds from Verizon to do a full check ??

Thank You -

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Looks like an issue on their side. Usual problem with DSL connections is that telephone lines are faulty. Do you hear any static when you pick up the receiver? The static may not be constant, but may come every few seconds.
Talk to someone who lives near you and uses DSL connection from Verizon. If they also have problems, then its definitely Verizon problem.

#4 AOTS84

AOTS84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

My modemn is wire to a computer, I do not have wireless. It is always plug in the computer.
When I call Verizon, they have already reset my modemn, but this problem still occur. The DSL light on my modemn is Solid green color, so I am sure I am getting full signal from Verizon. As they also told me they do a Test on their side and they say my Modemn is getting full signal.

Is not MB, it is KB, I am sure. I always get 300 KB/sec on my download, right now I am download and I only get 8.7 KB/sec

What strange is when I do a speedtest, speedtest come out normal. But when I do a pingtest, I get like a very high ping and a F+ grade.

I am very worry because I do not get any reception when I go into voice chat room, I cannot even hear people voice chat because the sound keep breaking up, and I get message say "Please check your internet connection" ------ Definately something is wrong here.

Before this problem occur I have download and use a Kaspersky Security Scan (It is just a Online virus scan), I have use this for about 5 days on my system before my internet went downhill. It is possible for it to be conflict with my Norton Antivirus? But if it is the Kaspersky problem then it would occur at the first day when I instal already, why wait till 5 days later?
After my internet went slow, I immediately uninstal the Kaspersky online scan, and my internet still not get any better. But I don't think this is the problem, since many people are using online scan as a additional virus check up on their computer.

Beside this, I did not make any changes on my computer. It is possible for my hardware to be corrupted?

Edited by AOTS84, 16 August 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

Maybe you just need to change to another service provider and this time make sure your up in the mbps subscription for better speed connection.

Tekken

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Your speed converts to about 0.3Mbps which is much lower than any dial-up service will offer -
Someone is reading your speeds wrong or you have a totally useless internet connection -

I just retested mine and I got 13Mbps which I consider as average speed. That equals 13,300Kbps (approx) Thirteen Thousand and Three Hundred Kbps -
Mbps13 = Kbps13,312

Also when you do an Online Scan like Kaspersky or ESET scans, you turn your own Antivirus program Off first, as it is only one scan then finished
Then when you finish the Online scan you log off from it, and turn your own Antivirus back on -

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

folks its all about bits and bytes

Your ISP mentions speeds in bits per second, kbps and Mbps are kilobits per second and megabits per second
When you download a file in your browser, its kilo bytes per second. kB/s
Usually small b means bit and capital B means byte, but people are free to use either.

300 kilobytes / s = 300 * 8 kilobits / s = 2400 kbps = 2.4 Mbps

Meaning that OP has 2 Mbps DSL connection.

Having said that, the only way to determine if your PC is causing the speed to drop is to attach your modem to another PC. If you have another computer or someone has a laptop then invite him/her over and check. The DSL LED does not mean that connection is super good, it only means that stable ADSL signal is present. There may be other factors like noise and attenuation which can cripple a DSL connection.

Login into your modem/router's web interface (type 192.168.1.1 in web browser, and possibly both username and passwords are 'admin'). Then tell us what is SNR ratio and line attenuation. You have to find it under stats or something. All DSL modems have it in different location.

Edited by Romeo29, 16 August 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#8 AOTS84

AOTS84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

Sorry I am not good with computer, but I means KB, not kb
This Vista I use for the past 3 years, I always have 200-300KB/sec when I download, eversince the past week, I only can get 15KB/sec, sometimes as low as 6KB/sec

I use high speed internet, not wireless, not cable, so getting 300KB/sec download speed is very good.

I have try all those online anti-virus scan, I am now to the point I scare if I try more it will mess up my system.
I have try all of these:
Norton, mcAfee, Panda, Kaspersky, Housecall, Esset, including Malwarebyte and lavasoft, and found Nothing!! No virus, no spyware!
This is pretty much every online scan offer for free out there.

I have try speedtest, everything is normal there. But my pingtest is extremely high and I get F grade. I cannot download anymore, even in voice chat room, voice are breaking up, and it keep saying "please check your internet connection"

I have flush out my DNS, reset my whole modemn, even run my computer in Safe Mode Networking. And I still get very slow speed.

OK, I'm going to try to get a friend laptop to test. But I don't understand how can I get a friend laptop and plug in my Verizon modemn can get them online?

My Internet is high speed internet, it is not cable, it is not wireless too.
When I instal Verizon DSL, it come with a verizon CD to instal, and then I go to 192.168.1.1 to configure the modemn.

So if I just plug this Verizon modemn to a neighbor laptop, I don't think they can connect to the internet, unless they configure their online network to my Verizon DSL. I'm confuse

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

When I instal Verizon DSL, it come with a verizon CD to instal, and then I go to 192.168.1.1 to configure the modemn.

This is correct for about 90% of computer modems -
My ISP just changed to a new number, but most people still use 192.168.1.1 as configuration, so most will plug in to yours

No need for them to use any CD, just plug a laptop in and see what happens -

EDIT - SpeedTest program has always returned a figure in Mbps when I have used it -

Edited by noknojon, 16 August 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

What protection software is currently installed? Have you tried disabling or reinstalling them including your network driver? Did you clenaed out your temp. files or cache?

Tekken

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

Just plugin the ethernet cable coming from your router/modem to your friends' laptop's ethernet port. That's all you have to do. Your friends laptop should get online by itself.

Another thought came to my mind. Some ISPs (do not know about Verizon never used them), reduce the speed after you a download limit. My ISP gives 12 Mbps upto 50 GB download per month. After that it drops down to 1 Mbps. So check if you have downloaded some massive stuff this month.

#12 AOTS84

AOTS84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

It is not the download speed issue, I don't think because when I go to a voice chat room, I cannot even hear people voice, voice keeps breaking up, and I get a message say "your internet connection is not stable, please check your connection, reconnecting..."
I am not even download now, and I cannot even play an online game or go to any software since my internet is very slow.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

It is not the download speed issue, I don't think because when I go to a voice chat room, I cannot even hear people voice
I am not even download now, and I cannot even play an online game or go to any software since my internet is very slow.

Yes - This is a Download issue, as you Need Download speed to Direct Chat or play Online Games.
To type here you need very little internet speed or usage - I use very little if I only stay here all day, but on Facebook or online games it uses much more on Download.

Try this >> Go - Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup - Tick all boxes and click OK then Yes -
This may take a while if you have not done it for a while (about 5 minutes) and just go back to Desktop when finished -

Have you used Defragmenter for a while ? Same as above but select System Tools > Disk Defragmenter > and click Defragment
This may take a while if you have many Red areas showing -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users