Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clock Stops In Standby

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Count

The Count

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

I seem to have problem with the clock on my pc not keeping time when it is standby. Usually, but not always, the clock seems to have lost hours when my pc is in standby mode.

I don't think its the battery, because it keeps perfect time when its switched off. It just has a problem with standby mode.

I'm running XP media centre edition 2005 SP2 build 2600 on an Intel D915POM mobo based pc with a dual core 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM. All windows updates and drivers are up to date.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:15 PM

My cureall for standby/hibernation problems is to update the video drivers to the latest, WHQL certified version. They somehow link a lot of the functions in the PC when it comes to standby/hibernation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 The Count

The Count
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for that John - but no help I'm afraid. I'm using an nvidia geforce 6600 with the latest WHQL certified drivers (8.1.9.8).

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

Oh well, it was worth a shot! :thumbsup:

The difference between power down and standby is that there's a trickle of current left in the computer when in standby. This keeps the information in the RAM refreshed so that you can startup faster.

Since there's current there - this shouldn't affect the clock at all unless something is wrong. Have you checked the board for any problems with the capacitors? http://badcaps.com/ident/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 The Count

The Count
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

I've discovered something slightly odd today that makes me think that this isn't a hardware problem at all.

My setup is as a mediacentre so I use my PC to record TV. When not in use, the pc goes into standby. When it's time to record it wakes itself up.

Tonight it woke up at exactly the right time, but once awake, the clock showed the time that it last went into standby.

It's as though when the system comes out of standby, and it restores everything, it also restores the time???

Is that possible?

Me confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users