Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anvir Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

A few years back when my friend put together my system he installed Anvir Task Manager, saying that it was superior to Windows Task Manager in telling me what was running, whether or not it was necessary in Start Up, etc. Well, today I thought about running it, then realized it needed to be updated.

Before updating it, I'm wondering if there is a better Task Manager to use. I already use AVG (avast was fighting with my Outlook 2007, so I had to delete it) Malwarebytes & Spybot, so I think I've got those fronts covered. So is Anvir Task Manager worthwhile, or is there another free task manager I should be looking at that will tell me in plain English whether or not what is running at start up needs to run, etc.

Thanks in advance,

=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

When you say taskmanager I think of the one built into windows. However then you say

or is there another free task manager I should be looking at that will tell me in plain English whether or not what is running at start up needs to run

so try this one for that.

StartUpLite speeds Windows' startup

No one likes waiting for their computer to start - it’s like watching paint dry (or golf). We at Malwarebytes know that you have places to go and websites to see so we created a lightweight and user-friendly way to speed up your start.

StartUpLite provides a safe, easy, and efficient way to eliminate unnecessary applications that start when you turn on your computer.

By disabling or removing unnecessary entries, StartUpLite can dramatically shorten your startup time with just a few clicks of the mouse. Stop waiting and start computing.

In my case it showed this, No Unnecessary startups found. Always a good Sign.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 August 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

I like either System Explorer or Process Explorer.

More options here > Best Free Process Viewer

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

I like and use WinPatrol.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

The Reason I suggested the Malwarebytes StartUpLite is that the OP asked

is there another free task manager I should be looking at that will tell me in plain English whether or not what is running at start up needs to run

At least on my system here it seems to do that. In my case it showed this, No Unnecessary startups found

I've never used WinPatrol, is it good?

Best Regards
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

My skills aren't what yours are, so it's very helpful for my system informational needs.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

When you say taskmanager I think of the one built into windows. However then you say

or is there another free task manager I should be looking at that will tell me in plain English whether or not what is running at start up needs to run

so try this one for that.

StartUpLite speeds Windows' startup

No one likes waiting for their computer to start - itís like watching paint dry (or golf). We at Malwarebytes know that you have places to go and websites to see so we created a lightweight and user-friendly way to speed up your start.

StartUpLite provides a safe, easy, and efficient way to eliminate unnecessary applications that start when you turn on your computer.

By disabling or removing unnecessary entries, StartUpLite can dramatically shorten your startup time with just a few clicks of the mouse. Stop waiting and start computing.

In my case it showed this, No Unnecessary startups found. Always a good Sign.

Good Luck
Roger

Just to bring everyone up to speed, I went with this option as it seemed to be the cleanest & easiest program.

Thanks for all the input!
:thumbup2:
=SubMariner=

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thank You for the Feedback
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users