Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast Constantguard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Comcast/xfinity is my Internet provider, and get a free ConstantGuard protection suite included. It comes with the following:
  • Norton Security Suite
  • DNS Lock
  • Password Protector/Reminder
  • Secure Backup and Share
  • Identity Guard
  • Online Concealer
  • One-click secure login

Okay, Norton I get. Identify Guard is some 3rd party software by Intersections Inc. The other software appears to be developed by Comcast.

My question is whether it is recommended to install all the software or just Norton. I am leaning towards just Norton, but would like other opinions.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

This is a personal opinion. I wouldn't touch any of it. I've had Comcast for over 10 years and I don't use a single thing of theirs. I use my own choices not what they have decided to partner with or rebrand.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

If you want to take advantage of the Comcast security offering do NOT install the Constant Guard portion.

Having said that, if you are adventurous you could install the entire suite. If it gives you problems Constant Guard can be installed without removing Norton.

Customers have reported various issues with it-the main one being it can cause system slowdown. Of course not everyone who uses it experiences problems.

I think there is an option to install only the Norton portion of the security suite.

What I think you should do is look through the Comcast Help Forum Security Board and look for topics about Constant Guard. You can then decide what you want to do. Also, if given the option to install the Xfinity Toolbar, say no. It's flaky. If you have specific questions about Constant Guard ask them in the Comcast security forum.

Comcast does not have a stellar history when it comes to branded software. Those of us who have been around the Comcast forums a long time have a saying about it:

"not ready for prime time" OR "a dead rat floating in the gutter".

As a Comcast customer I refuse to use anything they offer. *side note* If you are ever tempted to install the latest dead rat from Comcast which is called Easy Solve DON'T DO IT. Just for fun here is my review of Easy Solve.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 August 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#4 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thank you Animal and Queen, Looks like my intuition was correct. Thank you again for your affirmation. Michael

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

As I said mine is purely a personal choice, and I haven't been disappointed having read and continue to read the myriad horror stories at Comcast forums.

On behalf of the Bleeping Computer community you're quite welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users