Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows log-in problem and system slower than usual.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pebs123

Pebs123

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

For the last week or so (going on two weeks) I've noticed my computer has been
working a bit slower than usual. It's noticeably slower when logging in,
at times I have to reboot my computer so I can log into my computer account
(I share the computer with another person,so two user accounts). This morning
when I turned on my computer a message popped up,I don't remember what the whole
message said but I remember it mentioning "hard drive disk". It also said I could
cancel but it's highly recommended that I let it run,it seemed to be doing some sort
of scan.After it finished it rebooted my computer and windows started
normally (still slow though). Once I was logged in I decided to run Reimage,everything
seemed to be fine until it came to my PC stability. The PC scan summary showed that my
PC has stability issues (9 to be specific),530 registry errors,13.73GB of Junkfiles.
According to Reimage my Windows damage severity is "medium". There's no indication
of malware or viruses (I'm going by Reimage) but I'm running my anti-virus program
just to be sure. I'm not sure what the problem could be,help would be highly appreciated! :(

I forgot to add, my Windows edition is "Windows Vista Home Premium".

Edited by Pebs123, 15 August 2012 - 08:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Is this the Reimage you are mentioning?

Reimage Repair http://download.cnet.com/Reimage-Repair/3000-18512_4-10907808.html

If so I suggest you read the user reviews from Cnet that are on the page I linked above.

Since the program mentioned registry errors, this is the BleepingComputer position on registry repair programs.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:step1: Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:step2: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:step3: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reimage was part of the cause of the slowdown.

Slow Computer?
Use this troubleshooting checklist

Slow Computer Checklist

Because many members post about their computer responding slowly, BC is posting a summary checklist of general steps a member can take to resolve this problem, and briefly discussing the three most common causes: malware, uncontrolled applications, and lack of maintenance.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Pebs123

Pebs123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hello Roger! Yes, that is the REimage application I use,should
I uninstall it from my system? Also,should I download the ERUNT
application? Thank you for the quick response! :)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Work your way through the Slow computer checklist I linked too. ERUNT is a registry backup utility. If you do anything that may change the registry then a backup of could be helpful.
It does only one thing, backup the registry.

Only you can decide about uninstalling ReImage. Read the user comments on the CNET page I linked and decide.
I do know I wouldn't install it, since it now installs a toolbar that is hard to remove.

By AustrAlien
Backup the Windows system registry with ERUNT
  • If you are using ERUNT on a Vista or Windows 7 system:
  • And ... if UAC (User Account Control) is enabled on the Windows system (as it is by default):
  • When installing ERUNT, ensure that the AutoBackup option is UN-checked!
  • Run ERUNT (or ERDNT.exe) using right-click > Run as Administrator
    Note: Backups will not be automatically created daily. Instead you will need to create them manually by running ERUNT.
[/list]Download ERUNT (The Emergency Recovery Utility NT) to the computer.
  • There are two versions to choose from:
    • Installer file Download Now
    • Run (double-click) the installer file to install ERUNT on the system.
    • Run ERUNT using the shortcut that will have been created on the Desktop.
    • Follow the prompts, leaving all settings in their default configuration.
  • Zipped file Download .ZIP
    • Unzip/Extract the .zip file to a folder in the location of your choice.
      Read the README.TXT file for full instructions and more information.
    • Run (double-click) the contained ERUNT.EXE file to backup the registry.
    • Follow the prompts, leaving all settings in their default configuration.
------------------------------
Note: To restore the Windows registry using ERUNT backups:
  • Navigate to the EFDNT folder created to house the registry backups:
    C:\Windows\ERDNT <<< folder
  • Inside the ERDNT folder you may find other folders labelled by date (manual backups if any).
  • The AutoBackup folder contains dated folders with registry backups created automatically by ERUNT each day the computer is started.
  • The location might look something like this:
  • C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\AutoBackup\25-07-2012 <<< folder
[*]Locate the backup (by date) that you wish to use and then run (double-click) ERDNT.exe within that same backup folder, and follow the prompts.
[/list]
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Since CHKDSK did run at startup I would also like to have you check the hard drive. One that is failing can cause slow boots. Only one of the many reasons however.

Try Seatools for DOS: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

I like to run the short test as well as the long test.

If you get any errors just make a note of them and do not do the fix as that could lead to data loss.

Thanks
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#6 Pebs123

Pebs123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Hello Roger,I just wanted to give you a bit of an update!
I worked my way through the "Slow computer" list,and I am
currently de-fragmenting my computer. Again,there were no
viruses,trojans,or malware found. I will post another update
once I've tried "Seatools"! :)

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the update
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 Pebs123

Pebs123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi Roger,I canceled the PC defragment,it ran for 24 hours
(or more) and showed no sign of finishing any time soon. X.X
Being an idiot I never ran the defragment before this happened,
so I decided to move onto using Seatools.I noticed for Seatools
you need a blank CD or floppy disk and I have neither. I'm sorry,
are there any other options?

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hi,

If you own or can borrow a USB flash drive (500 MB or larger), you should be able to create a bootable USB device containing the Ultimate Boot CD; a collection of diagnostic software, including SeaTools for DOS.

Please download the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from here or here (359 MB Iso file).

Next, download rufus from here.
  • Insert the USB flash drive into the computer, then double click on rufus_vx.x..exe to start the program.
  • Under Device, make sure that the correct drive letter is chosen for your flash drive.
  • Click on the Posted Image icon (bottom right) and navigate to the ubcdxxx.iso file, click on it and select Open.
  • Click Start to create the bootable flash drive. Exit the program when it reports Done.
Insert the flash drive into the ailing computer, set the computer to boot from the USB flash drive first (frequently by pressing an F-key for a Boot Menu), then restart the computer. (For how to set USB drive to boot first, go here).

• Arrow down and select HDD from the UBCD start-up menu.
  • Select Diagnosis.
  • Arrow down below visible menu and select SeaTools for DOS V2.23 (Seagate\Maxtor).
    • Accept the agreement. Your mouse should work.
    • Your drive should be listed in "Drive List." Highlight the drive to test.
    • Click on Basic Tests from top menu.
    • Run the Short test first and then the Long test.
    • If bad blocks are found during a Long test, a prompt will ask how to proceed.
    • Because there is a chance of some data loss with the repair, select Skip This One and All Remaining, unless you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
  • Click Exit from top menu when finished.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 Pebs123

Pebs123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hello Art! I don't own or know anyone who owns a USB flash drive
with 500mb,so I'm going to go out and purchase one. I'll send
another update after buying the USB flash drive and running the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users