Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Extremely Slow

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 longnailsredhair

longnailsredhair

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have an Eee PC that came with Windows 7 Starter. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate because I hated the restrictions with Starter. Everything went just fine. Now it is so slow when I get on the internet that it times out. I don't even bother playing games on my favorite sites. It is just no fun anymore. I am more of a hardware person than software and I am lost. I don't even know where to start. I am on wireless and don't know what settings should be. I'm sure it's probably something really simple and I'm going to feel like an idiot but at this point I'll look the fool if I can fix this. Let me know what other info you need and you'll get it. Thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi longnailsredhair,

It would be helpful to gather a little more information.

1 ) What's the model number of your Eee PC?

2 ) To help us get a better look at your computer hardware, please follow the instructions below to "Publish a Snapshot" of your system using Speccy.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Below is for those who cannot get online:
  • Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link, per above instructions. You will need to edit the text file to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

3 ) Please download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop.

Check the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List contents of Hosts
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Thank you.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 longnailsredhair

longnailsredhair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eyaBQxemE0NHCraWytDzAAe

My computer is an Eee PC 1005HAB-RBLU005S.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi,

Windows 7 Ultimate on a netbook with a 1.6 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM is not going to be especially speedy. Have a look at Windows 7 Ultimate on a Netbook: See How it Runs

From Speccy Snapshot:

CPU
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz: 56 C
Diamondville 45nm Technology

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. 1005HA (PBGA 437): 64 C

The above temperatures while not excessively high, aren't low either.
  • Make sure that you don't rest it on a soft surface where the air intake (usually on the bottom) can become blocked.
  • Using it on a laptop cooler when stationary would help.
  • Allow Suspend after "X" number of minutes when on A/C power would lower temps.

See Optimize Windows 7 for better performance. Performing many of these suggestions should increase your resources and increase speed.

Have an extra USB 2.0 flash drive lying around, use ReadyBoost.

Adding another gigabyte of memory would be well worth it.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users