Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system32 files missing and explorer.exe not handling folders

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Josiah23

Josiah23

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:58 AM

I have a good sony vaio from 2010 with a win7 home premium, 4 Gb Ram, 500Gb HDD, 50 Gb available currently. I know various System32 files are missing from information from a HijackThis Scan yesturday, eg lsass.exe. Explorer.exe does not handle folders well-double clicking should open any folder but instead it defaults to trying to open it with the first available software in the context menue, which happens to be VLC Media player. This is a known problem, to do with registry damage and/or windows explorer, not to do with VLC. I have been dilagent with updating drivers, and am currently using Slimdrivers to identify further improvements to my driver lineup. I will add a scan results from tweaking com windows repair after this post. Avast interenet security and Malwarebytes are up to date and scan have found nothing lately. MBAB had to be uninstalled and reinstalled today due to some sudden loss of the signatures update file(I think), but is running well again now.

I wish to go through a range of tests and find out about some procedure to restore these corrupt system files. I am an advanced home user but have run out of idea with this problem and need help.
Thanks in advance for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

I know various System32 files are missing from information from a HijackThis Scan yesturday, eg lsass.exe.

This is drawback of hijack this on 64 bit systems.Do not fix anything.The files are actually present on your system.You cannot boot your PC if you're missing system critical files

Explorer.exe does not handle folders well-double clicking should open any folder but instead it defaults to trying to open it with the first available software in the context menue, which happens to be VLC Media player.

Folder fix

Launch it,click YES

Now try to open your folders

Edited by narenxp, 15 August 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

First >>
Go - Start > Programs > Accessories >Right click on Command Prompt and type sfc /scannow < Note the space between c and / (this will take about 15 minutes)
Press Enter and wait for the scan to complete - Make a note of any errors reported during the scan -
Next >>
Repeat the first section but this time type chkdsk /r < Note the space between k and /
Press Enter and type Y then REBOOT the computer
This scan will take about 1 hour to complete 5 stages, and it will reboot to normal mode when finished. Do not turn off or unplug the computer while it runs -
Next >>
Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
•Make sure the following options are checked:
  • Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender
•Press "Scan".
•It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
•Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Thank You -

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

EDITED -

Edited by noknojon, 15 August 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

EDITED due to site shutdown

Edited by noknojon, 15 August 2012 - 06:12 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

EDITED due to site shutdown

Edited by noknojon, 15 August 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

EDITED

Edited by noknojon, 15 August 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#8 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hi Noknojon,
`
wow thanks for the fast reply! I love being on a learning curve. Anyway, that is good to know about hijackthis on 64bit. yes I did not use its repair function. I an doing the sfc now but I am pretty sure it will give no results, I have done several in recent times.

One thing I noticed about 3 weeks ago, all my system restore points disappeared, and I did not turn off system protection. So I don't know where they went. I was thinking of doing a progressive role back system restore to fix the folder problem with explorer.exe, but that option disappeared.

I have done a very recent chkdisk, but I don't know where to look for the log file, any idea?? I do it overnight as it takes so long, but then it reboots and I don't know what it has found or done.

#9 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Noknojon,
here are the attachments

at times the mouse is extremely jumpy, either mouse pad or cordless. Can any of the empty posts above be deleted for tidiness thanks.

Roger

Attached Files

#10 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

I ran the script.reg that you sent me the link to to fix the folder problem. At this stage it has made no difference. I will reboot after it has completeed the ESET online scan. also will do the chkdsk at that time. may t5hen the registry changes will take effect. T
Thanks, Roger

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

If that doesnt work

Download

System look

Launch it and copy this script
:reg
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

CLick on LOOK,post the generated log

#12 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hello
thanks for the script file LOOk. I have run it and attached the txt.
Also included is the doc file from the esET scan. it found 12 infections but I am sure some are false positives.
Thanks

I Googled how to find the CHKDSK log in Event veiwer, not easy to find but will post that next

Attached Files

Edited by Josiah23, 16 August 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#13 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

system look didnot run successfully

Use proper script and run it again

Also try to reinstall VLC and see if that changes the context menu.If that works we dont need to change registry entries :thumbup2:

Edited by narenxp, 16 August 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#14 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

CHKDSK run in early morning, log from Event Viewer
No apparent change with explorer attempting to open folders with VLC media. Always works if I remember to Rt click folder for context menu and 'Open'
Note, when I uninstall VLC, the problem went away, and returned when I reinstalled it.

Attached Files

#15 Josiah23

Josiah23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

Hello,
As suggested, I redownloaded the System look and copied exactly the short script into it and ran it. the txt is attached.
Ah, Explorer is now opening but not working well. I am unable to open any folder by rt clicking for the context menue. How can I correct this issue?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users