Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maybe Bad MB or Vid Card?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KniteShayd

KniteShayd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

First post, woot!

So my computer has been having video issues for the past month or so. They started out of no where and progressively got worse. All the way to causing display crashes while gaming and giving me BSoD.

I know My comp is ancient now. But it's gotta last til I finish buying parts to build myself a new gaming rig.

Below is a description of my equipment, and what I have done thus far to try to fix my problems.

Comp Specs:
Gateway 506GR
3.2 GHz PentiumŪ 4 Processor 540 w/HT
2gb Ram (mem switched out 3 years ago)
450 watt power supply (added after stock PS went out)
Started with an nVidea 6600 GT, Later replaced with an 8600 GT
Windows XP Pro 32 bit

When the display problem started occurring, my game would Do some very weird colored shattered glass dipslay. at that point, I would exit the game and restart it. Problem fixed. Then after a couple days of that, my whole display, including desktop would freeze completely and I would have to reboot from the power button.

Ran Anti-virus, Spyware Remover, and Hijack This. Nothing suspicious.

At that point I figured it may be my drivers doing something wacky, so I reinstalled them and still had the same issues. After a moment, I though perhaps my vid card was over heating. SO I had the case opened and had my Vornado blowing directly in the case. After, of course, cleaning the fan with canned air, and making sure the card's fan was still working. Problem still. Then I went on to a system restore. Problem still.

I then replaced my 8600 with my 6600 again, ran the install wizard. Problem fixed, for about a week and a half. Then the same issue of full display freeze started again. At that point I went and d/l nVidea's drivers from their website, along with re-installing directX.

Problem still occurred, but now with a pixelating and distortion to the display. I went online and looked for anything resembling my problem, but all the answers stated was to do all the things I already did. I noticed that when my computer booted up, there were some off colored pixeled in the start up windows logo. Like a few red spots peppered in the blue part, some yellow in the red...

So I popped the vid card, and made sure my card was inserted fully and correctly. Problem still. Popped the Mem sticks. Problem still. By this point the issue was making my computer loop with resets and a BSoD that flashed so fast all I saw was the color blue blink on/off in between resets.

I went to VGA at that point, no issues there. clean as a whistle display, no garbled characters on boot up or off colored pixels on the windows logo at boot up. So Then I put the 6800 back in, Display was way worse. Put the 6600 back in, no change to previous quality, or it's lack there of.

Finally after 2-4 times of resetting with the 6600 back in, the computer would stop and give me the b/w screen about recovering from serious err. This screen would be all pixelated and garbled with characters, making it hard to read. After a few attemps of booting in safe mode to do more driver work (Computer would not reset, freeze, or pixelate in safe mode), I decided to wipe the hard drive and boot from disk.

That seemed to work, but while wiping, the screens would still be blinking black or white pixels checkered all over. After completing, the computer booted up to windows desk top fine but now the computer wouldn't detect my vid card. Rebooting with either vid card still garbles the display check wording on boot up and off colors the windows logo. VGA no issue still.

After running the hardware wizard, it wouldn't finish and would say Access denied for the install. SO I boot in safe mode as admin to try that, but directX doesn't work in safe mode. I go back to regular mode, and my 6600 appears, but every time I restart the computer, it wants to re-detect, the vid card and then denies access. Meanwhile, I installed directX and under the VGA I have full direct X functionality, but dont get the 3d part of it with my vid card. So, I went into BIOS and selected my display PCIe only, go back in to windows, still detects my 6600, but no functionality to directX under my dxdiag. Pop, the vid card, switch my BIOS display to auto, reconnect VGA. Pristine display, Full directX. Put card back in, have issues installing, and after installed, no directX. Repeat process and disable VGA under Device Mgr. Still same problems.

This makes me think either 1, 2, or 3 things are goin on here. 1. Both my Vid Cards are shot, 2. My PCIe connection is shot, &/or 3. My motherboard is screwed maybe with or separate than the PCIe slot.

Considered baking my motherboard and one vid card, but I would rather not.

Ideas? Suggestions? Help. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users