Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guys we might have a 2012 world-ending situation here O_O

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Ok I have notices since I have been on here for the past couple months, there have been weird happenings to many people on the forums that are in a pattern.
Here are the items that have scared me in chronological order:
1. Outbreak of that DNSchanger and trojans like it (see, Zeroaccess)
2. Odd number of computer booting problems starting to grow.
3. Growing number of internet cutouts and internet slowdowns.
4. And now the most serious of them all, complete mayhem upon computers such as possible hackers, mass glitches, and otherwise SYSTEM FREAKING FAILURE.

Any ideas why this is happening at once, or is it simply coincedence (crap I cant spell tonight >>).

From a very worried :wacko: --Gilroy

EDIT: When did they say Y2K (year 2000) was going to REALLY happen?

Edited by Purplegill10, 15 August 2012 - 01:37 AM.

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

If you went back studying the the topics in Am Infected and the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forums, you will find that there are always waves of computers that suffer from the same sort of infection. What infection is in question will vary over time, but many computers will suffer from it.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hi,

the amount of infected computers has actually been decreasing quite significantly over the last year. In addition the police has dismantled a number of the bigger botnets and taken them down (including the DNSChanger, which really has been taken down in november 2011 and was inoperational since then). If you have been here a few months, then you never saw DNSChanger active. The only thing that happened in 2012 is that the FBI stopped operating the servers that the malware creators used, which caused those still infected to be unable to surf online. This is one infection that was gotten rid off "for good".
The zeus botnet was also targetted and partially taken down, earlier this year. As well as the Grum botnet (noticed getting less spam in the last two weeks. That's likely why).

Personally, as someone helping in the malware removal sections I would say I've noticed less infected PCs and less diverse malware over the last year. Significantly less infected PCs. However that malware has gotten way more complex, which is also part of the reason why it causes so many broken PCs: The more complex a software, the more room for errors.
There's nothing "terminal" about an unbootable PC though. This can often be fixed and even if it can't be fixed a simple reinstall of the operating system will fix it. So this "end of the world issue" can be fixed in 4-6h. If that's the worst we have to expect from 2012, we're very lucky!

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users