Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Durable compact laptop needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

I am looking for a replacement laptop. My Gateway m151 is still working, but it makes groaning or grinding noises, which seem ominous. Combined with the weight and short battery life, I started looking at the possibility of getting something new. I really can't afford to be without it due to 3 online classes, and needing portability.

I use the laptop to access the online class forum, some streaming of video content (nothing usually high tech, but rather documentary style), internet surfing (mainly google searches and such) and word processing. I do not do any gaming. ETA - I am looking for an especially durable model because I sometimes take the bus in to campus, and next global studies class, I would like to take it along (not to mention the klutz factor described below).

I read some PC mag reviews that gave the Lenovo x120e a really good rating based on the battery life (7+ hours), weight, and durability. If I understood correctly, the unit includes some form of impact 'resistance', and was marketed for young students (but would be good for me, since I fell on the ice with my current one).

The x130e appears to be the replacement for the x120 that was reviewed, and is being phased out (?) because it is no longer available on the lenovo website. I can find it on amazon with a variety of specs.

The range includes Core i3 i3-2367M 1.4GHz for $638.xx, Dual-Core Fusion E-450 1.65GHz 320GB HDD 4GB DDR3 for 501.xx, and AMD Dual-Core 320GB Notebook for 475.xx. (I know that those specs aren't covering everything.)

So basically, I am wondering if any of you have advice on the lenovo in general, ...any suggestion between these, or recommendations for alternative units.

Edited by Barefoot2, 14 August 2012 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

The Lenovo Thinkpad are basically IBM laptops and the Thinkpad are well known for their durability. The laptop should be able to withstand anything you throw at it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

One other consideration is that Lenovo has a network of local Authorized service providers all over the country.

They also sell extended warranties. As well as Accidental damage warranties. The accidental warranty covers any accidental damage. Only buy extended warranties from the maker of the laptop.

I know that Toshiba as well as those types of warranties used to sell a priority repair warranty add-on.

Accidental or priority are expensive however.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Thanks! I did end up buying the Lenovo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic