Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive problem.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hey guys,

I recently noticed a small problem with my DVD drive. It plays mostly every DVD I have, except for a few that I burned a while back. These DVD's were burned on a Vista computer, and I currently have a Windows 7 OS. I can play the DVD's that I burned with this computer just fine--however, whenever I try to load up one of the older ones, it simply never loads (I click on E:/, and it doesn't recognize the DVD). I'm not sure what's causing the problem--I've just updated the codecs for VLC on my computer, and the DVD's aren't scratched. The drive itself is working just fine--it plays, burns, and reads most DVD's except for this bunch. Any idea what could be causing this? Is it the drive itself, or the OS, or something else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Several possibilities
1. The drive does not like those disks
2. the disks have gone bad. Have you tested them elsewhere? There are reports of certain brands not holding the data.
3. The disks were not finalized.

Vista or win7 is not the problem.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

1. Probably true, what does this mean?
2. They work fine on an XP machine. It's just my laptop that is having the problem.
3. Finalized? what does this mean?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Is the Xp machine where they were created?
What software was used.
Close or finalize a CD or DVD

If you want to use your rewriteable CD or DVD in another computer, you need to close the session after you have burned files to the disc.

Finalize (optical discs)

Finalizing (also spelled finalising) an optical disc is the process of writing out support data such as DVD menus, directory data, and the like to an optical disc in order to make it playable on a system other than the one it was recorded on. As a general rule, finalization means that the disc cannot have any more data written to it. It is the last step in the DVD authoring process.

The term is also used as an alternative word for the "closing" of a CD-R, in which Table of Contents data and the like are written out to enable the computer to read a CD. Like DVD finalization, a closed CD-R cannot receive any more data.

Hope that explains it.
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

The XP machine aren't where it was "burned", I did it on a Vista machine.
I just drag-dropped the files onto the disc--just wanted to store the files on the disc.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

So all the discs that can't be read were done on a Vista Computer?

Close or finalize a CD or DVD

Before you can use a recordable disc (such as CD-R, DVD-R, or DVD+R) formatted with the Live File System format in other computers and devices, you need to close the current disc session to prepare the disc for use. By default, Windows closes your disc automatically when it is ejected.

Try closing the discs and see what happens

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 WiReFrAmE

WiReFrAmE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Unfortunately, I don't own that machine anymore.

Can it be done on other Vista computers? Also, the discs work fine on an XP machine I currently have--it's just this laptop. Should I try closing on the XP machine as well?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

OK, If they are working on one XP machine closing the disc probably isn't the problem. It sounds as if the drive doesn't like them. In that case I would just copy them on the computer they work on unless there are too many to be done feasibly. Probably not worth putting a different DVD drive in to test with.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users