Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win wont load, boot issues??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 johnkol

johnkol

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

First time poster so if in the wrong section, im sorry.
Im very lost here and hope some can help. Ill try and add as much info to this issue:

Have a huge problem here(to me) and stuck. I researched as much as I could but having issues. Will do m best at explaining on the issue and also what I have tried so far.

Compter=Compaq Presario CQ5600F (desktop) windows 7(was when it worked)

Turned computer on as was prompted with a screen, insert recovery disk. Tried this nothing

Now when I turn on system i get a screen with the compaq logo, with a person(clipart upside down on a red line) options on this screen are:
setup, boot menu, system recovery. If left alone for a min it goes to press any key to boot from cd, disk read error..(will get to this part soon)

What I tried so far. I can see the HD in bios when I check per instructions. I unhooked sata cable from hd and mobo, unplugged and held power button 5 sec. restarted, same as above.

Being fustrated and I said nevermind, ill install a fresh copy of win 7. After the painstaking slow install(over hour) towards the end the syatem reboots and im yet again faced with the above screen, enter setup, etc, so I wait and it goes to system erro cntl alt delete to restart, so I do and back again to the press any key to boot from cd.

After all the reading and trying various stuff prior to trying a fresh install, im thinking maybe the HD is on its way out(just my very newbee opnion) or something is wacked with where the system boots from..

So basically...........HELP PLEASE....I just want to get the system running again. I do have a new copy of windows to install on it but nothing is working right.

Additionaly, if I go back to the boot menu and pick the hd to boot from the system sits there and hang with a black screen for a very long time just black.
after letting the black screen sit there it goes to:

Win failed to satrt a recent hardware/software change might be the cause.

file:\boot\BCD

an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data
after all that goes back to setup/boot screen, i waited then it says:

Windows encounted a problem communicating with a device.
This error can be caused by unplugging a device or faulty hardware such as a cdrom or faulty harddrive.

Info: an unexpected I/O error occured.

I posted this on hp support but yet to get help. At a loss. Again, sorry if wrong forum category.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

This will sound strange, and weird, and mysterious. I once had a problem but with The BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH (dun dun duun). *Ahem* I had the same error message (given to me by Geek Squad, error in their system) and it gave me the blue screen. Anyways I read the blue screen and saw that I should go to F8 for some weird menu. Now it looked like DOS mixed in with a blue screen and I tried this one option. I forget what is was but it gave me a loading screen and scanned my computer. I left it alone for a few hours and when I came back it started working just as well as it did before. Again, I have no idea how this happened but if you get lucky it could work for you, just press and hold F8 when it boots up and if you're lucky you'll see the menu i saw and it will boot up again after a few hours. I know this post sounds confusing, but then again so was my situation.

Hope this(?) works--Gilroy
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

setup, boot menu, system recovery

Did you choose any of these options? You said that you let it sit until it defaulted or rebooted. Next time, try choosing boot menu (have your hard drive (HD) plugged in, and try system recovery after that.
Go HERE and click on "Downloads" tab; download "Sea Tools for DOS" (free) and burn it to a CD (I hope you have access to another computer for this). Enter your BIOS by tapping F8 (the F key may vary depending on your computer) and set first boot device = CD. Reboot with the CD in the drive, and it will run a diagnostic on your hard drive. It will post either PASS or FAIL. First, we have to eliminate that your drive has failed or not. This is the Seagate Corp. (the hard drive manufacturer)testing utility and is trustworthy. Let us know the results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 johnkol

johnkol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

setup, boot menu, system recovery

Did you choose any of these options? You said that you let it sit until it defaulted or rebooted. Next time, try choosing boot menu (have your hard drive (HD) plugged in, and try system recovery after that.
Go HERE and click on "Downloads" tab; download "Sea Tools for DOS" (free) and burn it to a CD (I hope you have access to another computer for this). Enter your BIOS by tapping F8 (the F key may vary depending on your computer) and set first boot device = CD. Reboot with the CD in the drive, and it will run a diagnostic on your hard drive. It will post either PASS or FAIL. First, we have to eliminate that your drive has failed or not. This is the Seagate Corp. (the hard drive manufacturer)testing utility and is trustworthy. Let us know the results.

Yes, I tried the boot menu option along with the other. I will go DL the above program you mentioned and give that a try and report back and let you know what happened. Thank you

#5 johnkol

johnkol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

OK, I ran the disk. First a short test and it said pass.
Then I ran the long test(unsure what to do with it) but anyways a box poped up and says the following:

"Unfortunatly, your seagate had drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to back up your data
Bad sector found. "

Was I suppose to run this long test and what does this mean? Is the HD indeed taking a dump and dying? If so is there anything else before I go get a new one that we can try?

-on a side note when I went to run the test it said there was no HD so i had to restart a few times and moved the sata cable from the hd on the mobo before it found it(would this be because it is dying on could there be other problems also?) I did plug it back to where it was originaly and re run the test to get the same. Just mentioning this issue with moving plug if it also could be something else.

#6 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Yeah this is where my help would end as I can't suggest anything else to you. However try cleaning the plugs with compressed air, it could be that it isn't reading it rather than the HD itself.

Hope it works--Gilroy
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

From what you have posted, the hard drive may be intermittently working/not-working, or the "intermittent" detection of the hard drive may be due to cable/connections or the computer itself. The hard drive may have a "bad sector" or more than one bad sector, but the reported "bad sector" could also be due to the "intermittent" problem. The problem may lie with the hard drive, and it may be dying ... but there is a chance the problem lies elsewhere.

Let's have a closer look at the condition of the hard drive by looking at the S.M.A.R.T. data if possible.

FIRSTLY ... Create a bootable UBCD ... CD

Please do the following on a working computer:
  • You will need a new blank writable CD.
  • Download UBCD and burn to a CD:
    Note: If you have trouble finding a download link here:
    • UBCD download page: Download UBCD
    • Look under the heading: Mirror Sites
    • Try any of those listed websites which are hosting/providing the UBCD .ISO file for downloading.
    • Click on the Posted Image icon in the left-hand-side column beside the download location of your choice for direct download of the .ISO file.
  • An example direct download link to try would be:
[*]If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list]============================================

SECONDLY ... Get the S.M.A.R.T data using UBCD > Parted Magic

Boot the ailing computer with the UBCD CD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD/DVD drive.)
  • At the first menu screen, select Parted Magic and press <ENTER>.
    Use Default settings ...
    Be patient until UBCD loads and you are presented with the Desktop.
  • Click Start (bottom-left-corner button) > System Tools > Disk Health (GSmartControl)
    (... or simply double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.)
  • In the GSmartControl window that appears, click on the device that represents the failing hard drive (any other device may be a flashdrive if you have one connected) to select it.
  • On the top menu, click Device > View Details.
    A Device Information window for the failing hard drive will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab at the top (to display the S.M.A.R.T data).
Save the S.M.A.R.T data as a text output by smartctl.
  • At the bottom of the Attributes page, click Save As.
  • Look at the default file name and location that the file will be saved.
    Default location will be "root".
  • Click Save.

Now to get the text file uploaded to BleepingComputer.com.

Establish internet connection

At the UBCD Desktop, click the 'start' button (bottom-left corner button) > Internet > Start network.
  • The Start Network Options window will open.
  • Ensure the appropriate option is selected, and click Continue ...
    The Network Utility window will open.
  • Ensure the appropriate option is selected, and click OK.
    You should now have a working internet connection.
Open Firefox and go to BleepingComputer site

At the UBCD Desktop, click the 'start' button (bottom-left corner button) > Internet > Firefox.

Attach file &/or paste text to a post
  • In your topic at the bottom of the page, click on Add Reply.
  • Under the text box, under the heading Attachments, click on "Browse" to browse for the file that you wish to attach.
    A file upload window will appear.
  • On the left-side, click on "root" to display the contents of the root directory.
  • You should see the text file there that you saved earlier. Click on it, to select it, and then click Open at the bottom-right of the window.
  • Back at the BleepingComputer.com forums window, click on Attach this file.
  • Now type a few words in the text box "text file attached" and then at the bottom click on Add Reply.
  • Note: If you are feeling confident enough to try it, you can open the text file with a text editor and paste the contents in a reply so it can be seen easily by anyone browsing the topic. If you do this, please enclose in CODE tags:
  • Enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.
[/list]All done!

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 August 2012 - 04:07 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

i had to restart a few times and moved the sata cable from the hd on the mobo

Replace or swap your SATA hard drive cable and also make sure the HD power cable is tight; SATA cables do go bad, particularly the connectors.

What the Seagate utility is telling you is that it could not find any mechanical or electrical failures on the drive, but that you have bad sectors. If the drive was in imminent danger of failure the SMART would have tripped and you would have seen it. SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is a safety system built into modern hard drives and is designed to give you a heads-up warning if anything critical starts to fail on the drive. That is the first thing the Seagate tester looks for when running, and yours is not tripped. However, having bad/corrupted clusters does not necessarily mean your drive is dieing, but keep an eye on it.

**Do you have a Windows 7 operating system installation disk, or only a restore disk? Check if you have a restore partition on your computer, most retail units do and you can find it in your documentation manual that came with the unit.

**If you have critical data that you must save, let me know. If not, let's try to get a fresh installation of W7 up & running.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 August 2012 - 07:24 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 johnkol

johnkol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

First let me say thanks so far for the help as I much appreciate it.

Replace or swap your SATA hard drive cable and also make sure the HD power cable is tight; SATA cables do go bad, particularly the connectors.
This I will try and use cable from my main system and see if anyting is different.

**Do you have a Windows 7 operating system installation disk, or only a restore disk? Check if you have a restore partition on your computer, most retail units do and you can find it in your documentation manual that came with the unit.
Yes I have a windows install cd, check first post(i know my post is a mess). I tried installing windows, a fresh copy already and took forever and got the following messages at the end of the first post.

**If you have critical data that you must save, let me know. If not, let's try to get a fresh installation of W7 up & running.
Should I swap the sata cable out and retry to install windows again? No I dont have anything on the drive that is needed.

Ill try swapping the cable later today if something else in the mean time let me know.

Thanks a bunch again

#10 johnkol

johnkol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Is there a chance the bios settings could be messed up or not at this point with what is going on. Just asking if anything there should be checked prior to doing other stuff.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Is there a chance the bios settings could be messed up

It's possible but not probable. If the settings were so corrupted as to prevent your windows disk from loading the computer probably wouldn't run at all. This is easy to verify though. On your motherboard, usually within proximity of the BIOS chip, is a small jumper that clears the BIOS settings and brings them back to factory default. You can find the location using the manual that came with the computer. Power down & unplug the box. Remove the CMOS battery (small, silver, size of a quarter in plain sight on the mobo (mainboard). Move the jumper from where it is mounted to the side pins next to it, wait 60 seconds, and move it back. Reinstall the CMOS battery, then re-set your 1st boot device = CD.

It is beginning to appear that your HD is on the way out. However, let's exhaust other tests before jumping to a conclusion.

Okay, question: how, exactly, did you try to reinstall Windows? When you booted from the W7 CD, and you entered the setup screen, did you first delete all partitions on the drive rendering the whole drive to RAW space, then re-set a single partition, and format NTFS? I know this seems redundant to you, but it is important.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 August 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#12 johnkol

johnkol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

I replaced both cables and also tried plugging into different connectors on the board. This is what is going on.
Nothing. Im again prompted with the screen to enter setup/boot/recovery.
-I go into boot all it shows in the dvd drive, not the hard drive. Turned it on and off a few times and finally it showed the HD one time in the boot menu.(error when boot message though).
-Now I had another HD lying around, so for the heck of it, I plug it in, this HD shows in the boot menu.(I cant use this HD though for anything else as far as checking anything on this system or anything, just plugged in to see if it showed up).

So is it safe to say replace it? I dont mind getting a HD and starting over, just wanted to make sure prior to that something isnt going a funk with the system besides that. But seems safe enough to say yes? If I do get a new drive I will have a few questions though quick.

Thanks again...thoughts on what to do?

** also I did not do the mentioned bios thing as suggested. I did the other day do the following that was on a HP site. Remove cmos batt and memory wait a few minutes but there was no jumper plug involved. Also was told to go in bios and f5? reset to factory default. Just adding this info in the event you guys need it. If I should do the above as you said, will do just havnt as of yet.

Edited by johnkol, 15 August 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yes, I think we both agree that the hard drive failed. We seem to be getting that message with all the tests we do. You might try Newegg.com, they have good prices and stellar service, I have been using them for all my builds and eqipment and have never had a problem, even with returns. Most items get 30 days, many even longer. Wish you the best!

#14 johnkol

johnkol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

I'll get a new HD and let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully smooth. Thanks again

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

Yes, please, post back with results, that really helps everyone the next time somebody has the same type of problem. Even a failure in diagnosis gives us experience on what not to do! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users