Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden slowness

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

I got back from a small 2 weeks vacation yesterday, and noticed now, after 1 day of use, that my computer started behaving weirdly.

It all started with firefox lagging real bad every 5 minutes or so, but I believed it was a firefox problem so I wasted some time debugging it. Then I discovered that all apps would take forever to work, it would occasionally take minutes to switch focus between windows, taskmanager wouldn't appear, etc etc. I decided to reboot and after about 15 minutes of waiting for my desktop to appear (it usually takes about 1 minute), the problem still persist and even got worse. I started a virus scan, but I don't think it'll detect anything because I did a scan just before leaving too.

While writing this post, I waited an half hour for the system log to open and be read, and can now see thousands of errors from "atapi" with the error message "Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort3.". My motherboard doesn't have IDE ports, but I guess it's related to my SSD, right? Just the error message makes me feel that the SSD is broken beyond salvation and needs to be replaced, right? Or do you think it is in the motherboard or SATA ports? I really hope it's the SSD, because replacing the motherboard would probably be quite expensive as I have a 1366 socket, and those aren't manufactured anymore, correct?

Edit: Forgot to list my hardware:
Intel i7 950 3.06GHz 1366 socket
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard
OCZ Vertex 2 E Series SATA II 2.5" SSD 60GB
Corsair XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 3x4GB
KFA2 Geforce 560 GPU

Edit2: The computer BSoDed, the BIOS screen was on for a long time, and now the Windows Boot Manager says that "the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible". I'm not happy :<

Edited by vigge_sWe, 14 August 2012 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Seems very odd, my suggestion is to keep scanning it to see if there are in fact viruses (that zeroaccess seems to be growing larger in numbers <_< ) and if it detects nothing then just update windows (happened to me before, just got weirded out.) I really don't think it would be a hardware issue although I may be wrong.
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

#3 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Seems very odd, my suggestion is to keep scanning it to see if there are in fact viruses (that zeroaccess seems to be growing larger in numbers <_< ) and if it detects nothing then just update windows (happened to me before, just got weirded out.) I really don't think it would be a hardware issue although I may be wrong.

Yeah seems like the SSD really did die now, or something on the motherboard (see my edits). It wont even boot anymore... I guess I should have started with backups instead of virus scan, but ohwell. I'll try switching ports or something tomorrow as it's getting late :<

#4 Purplegill10

Purplegill10

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yeah sorry, the only thing I can think of is trying to go to the boot menu (if at all it goes there) by holding F8. If you are getting a blue screen then this might be an easier fix than I thought. There are ways of getting past a blue screen (one of which saved my computer from death :thumbup2: ). Just try this before switching ports tonight or tomorrow.

Hope it goes well--Gilroy
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.
Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi was freakin' awesome

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hi, based on User reviews, not the best drive.
The below quotes from a post this month. As you can see.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464938.html/page__view__findpost__p__2802808
I purchased a OCZ Vertex 2 Sata II 60 GB SSD and installed it several months ago and my computer was constantly crashing/hanging and I narrowed it down to a problem with the SSD. I sent back the SSD to OCZ and they sent me another one which appeared to solve the hanging/crashing problems. However, after only a few months usage my computer crashed one day and upon restart would no longer boot. I tried reformatting the SSD and installing the OS (windows 7) on it again, however no matter what I tried I could not get it to complete the install (it would hang)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464938.html/page__view__findpost__p__2802930
Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 PM
Agree with Roger...this drive seems to have plenty of bad press.

http://www.gadgetpolice.com/reviews/ocz-vertex-2-ssd-huge-issues-causing-boot-failure-leading-to-an-rma-disk-replacement.php

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464938.html/page__view__findpost__p__2803139
Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:32 PM
Just from my experiences in the last year.

Avoid OCZ.

Really avoid OCZ drives with a Sandforce controller.

I should also mention that a SSD that gets filled can have problems with halting while it does garbage collection without having enough room to do it quickly.

It sounds as if it is time to do a RMA with OCZ. The failure mode you are experiencing seems to happen with OCZ.

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. Intel and Samsung seem to be more reliable based on user reviews.
And I love the speed with my SSDs, 120Gb being the smallest boot drive I use.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi, based on User reviews, not the best drive.
The below quotes from a post this month. As you can see.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464938.html/page__view__findpost__p__2802808
I purchased a OCZ Vertex 2 Sata II 60 GB SSD and installed it several months ago and my computer was constantly crashing/hanging and I narrowed it down to a problem with the SSD. I sent back the SSD to OCZ and they sent me another one which appeared to solve the hanging/crashing problems. However, after only a few months usage my computer crashed one day and upon restart would no longer boot. I tried reformatting the SSD and installing the OS (windows 7) on it again, however no matter what I tried I could not get it to complete the install (it would hang)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464938.html/page__view__findpost__p__2802930
Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 PM
Agree with Roger...this drive seems to have plenty of bad press.

http://www.gadgetpolice.com/reviews/ocz-vertex-2-ssd-huge-issues-causing-boot-failure-leading-to-an-rma-disk-replacement.php

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464938.html/page__view__findpost__p__2803139
Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:32 PM
Just from my experiences in the last year.

Avoid OCZ.

Really avoid OCZ drives with a Sandforce controller.

I should also mention that a SSD that gets filled can have problems with halting while it does garbage collection without having enough room to do it quickly.

It sounds as if it is time to do a RMA with OCZ. The failure mode you are experiencing seems to happen with OCZ.

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. Intel and Samsung seem to be more reliable based on user reviews.
And I love the speed with my SSDs, 120Gb being the smallest boot drive I use.

Yeah, my friend got an OCZ too after me and his broke within days. I hade a false sense that OCZ was good before I bought but I soon noticed it wasn't :\.

I was looking at a Intel 330 Series 120GB, and Intel 520 Series 120GB. It's like a $45 difference. Are they good, and is the $45 worth it for the 520? I'm a college student so $45 is quite a lot for me

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I use Intel 320 series which use a Intel controller and have a 5 year warranty. They are SATA 2 interface. The Intel 520 Series is a SATA3 interface with a Sandforce controller.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the 330 series, is it a shorter warranty maybe?

Either model I would read the user reviews.

That was why I went Intel when I did go SSD. That would be around the time they went from 3 years to 5 years for the warranty on the 320 Series SSDs.

So far, Knock wood, No problems at all.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I use Intel 320 series which use a Intel controller and have a 5 year warranty. They are SATA 2 interface. The Intel 520 Series is a SATA3 interface with a Sandforce controller.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the 330 series, is it a shorter warranty maybe?

Either model I would read the user reviews.

That was why I went Intel when I did go SSD. That would be around the time they went from 3 years to 5 years for the warranty on the 320 Series SSDs.

So far, Knock wood, No problems at all.

Good Luck
Roger

The 330 is a SandForce SF-2200 controller as far as I can see, with a read of 500 MB/s and write of 450 MB/s, SATA3, and 3 years warranty. The 520 seems similar but 50 MB/s faster read and write. I think I'm gonna go with the 330 as I've seen a lot of good about it, and the shop with the lowest price of it is close to me so I don't have to wait for shipping.

Edited by vigge_sWe, 15 August 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#10 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

As a last thing I tried to change the SATA cable and the port of the SSD, and tried to boot again. First time it booted and got past the login screen, but I was just presented with a black screen and a cursor. I waited for 15 minutes for the desktop to appear as I figured the problem persisted, as it did like this before too before dying completely, as I though I might as well backup whatever I can do before it dies again. Anyway, after 15 minutes I got impatient so I rebooted, and it booted normally and the computer seems to work fine now, if not even better than before. No sudden slowness anymore and there is no new atapi errors anymore. I took backups and all.

As I don't have any critical work on the SSD and I just surf the net and game on this computer mainly, I'm hoping it was just the cable/port that died as I've had a similar issue before. But I wonder, is there some kind of diagnostics tool to check the SSD for faults, like you can do with RAM with a memtest?

Edit: According to CrystalDiskInfo, it's health status is 98%. How accurate may that be?
http://i.imgur.com/E4Jvr.png

Edited by vigge_sWe, 16 August 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

I would say get in touch with OCZ and ask if they have any diagnostics programs they recommend.

This is a snapshot of the Intel SSD toolbox for my Intel 320 Series SSD for reference.
Intel SSD Toolbox report

As you can see it shows health and life remaining among other features. Such as quick and full diagnostic scans, system tuner etc.

Ask OCZ if they have an equivalent tool. I'd like to hope they do.

I've never used CrystalDiskInfo so I can't say. I would make sure to keep it backed up however.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 August 2012 - 11:10 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users