Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Registry Fears...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richardo

richardo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi to all:

I'm studying the windows xp registry through a book i get, thus i will need to make changes and stuff in there.....so i know some of you are saying....poor guy.....he doen't know..

So i know, i can blow up everything, more as i'm not any kind of expert, and the fact that i have not possibilities of get a lab computer, i have installed the BootIT NG program (great one) and make a turbo copy of my only OS installed (XP), so now i wonder if booting in one system, the one i will use for my studies, and i do changes in the registry, will this afect the other booting item (the other original installation of XP)?

Is there anyway to install a program or some thing else to make my only lap as they were two, in order to have the chance to study the registry and do not be afraid to death? (not to backup constanty....)

Thanks for your always usefull help.
Rich :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

If you are talking about creating a dual boot system, and then using the second installation as your lab experiment, I think you would be ok. But the second XP installation must be in seperate partition.

I hope that helps.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

There's several ways of doing this. The easiest is to learn how to use the recovery console to restore your registry from a backed up copy. Also, there are various ways that you can backup your registry when editing it that will allow you to have a "one-click" option to restore the registry back to where it was before you started modifying it (it'll be mentioned in any decent book on the registry).

My preference is the Microsoft Windows Registry Guide, 2nd Edition.

Another option is an imaging tool for your hard drive - then disasters can be recovered from by restoring the hard drive.

You can install a separate copy of Windows - but this would require you to purchase another copy. You would also have to ensure that you don't mess with any of the common files or their registry entries (in particular the boot files).

You can also install a Virtual Machine and install Windows on it (once again, requiring you to purchase another copy)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

I recommend a small program called Erunt : http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
Written by Lars Hederer, this has the option to copy the current registry and store it in the c:\windows directory. Excellent for restoring after a blue screen, and can be configured for incremental back-ups - preferable to 'System Restore'.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

FWIW - the readme that comes with ERUNT even will tell you how to schedule the backups with the Task Scheduler in Windows.

I did this months ago - and every night at 3am it backs my registry up for me - overwriting the entry from the previous week.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:07 AM

There's several ways of doing this. The easiest is to learn how to use the recovery console to restore your registry from a backed up copy. Also, there are various ways that you can backup your registry when editing it that will allow you to have a "one-click" option to restore the registry back to where it was before you started modifying it (it'll be mentioned in any decent book on the registry).

My preference is the Microsoft Windows Registry Guide, 2nd Edition.

Another option is an imaging tool for your hard drive - then disasters can be recovered from by restoring the hard drive.

You can install a separate copy of Windows - but this would require you to purchase another copy. You would also have to ensure that you don't mess with any of the common files or their registry entries (in particular the boot files).

You can also install a Virtual Machine and install Windows on it (once again, requiring you to purchase another copy)

Fred Langa has an interesting article about using Virtual Machine to run other op systems in while you have XP open and running.
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...icleID=18600449

#7 richardo

richardo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

Thaks to everyone:
Well i should say some things, and ask anothers.
Yes, my friend usasma, the book i'm studind is just thaqt one you say, one of the greatest computers-subject ever fallen in my hands.

Another thing is actually i'm ussing Erunt (great one), and for partitioning and imaging i'm just installed BootIT NG and at the moment looks pretty good, allowing me to have up to 200 primarys partitions, is with that one that i made that they call "a windows XP "turboCopy?"", but for partitions and imaging at the moment looks good.

SO the questions is not exactly about how to backups but how i can make registry changes in one XP (in one primary partition) without to afect the "other XP" in different primary partition, and if i can, following those rules, for example install/desisntall a program in one OS, that will not appear/afect in the "other".

Usama, i'm really interesed in that you said aboyut "Virtual Machine". Where,i can get it?? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users