Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old infected hard drive, safe to access?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Systemist

Systemist

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi all,

I had a Windows 7 installation on my old hard drive which got infected with rootkit.0access. I tried removing it with malwarebytes but it kept coming back. Also originally MB did get rid of a few other infections (successfully it seems). Anyway, I decided to abandon the windows installation and start again on a new solid state drive.

I've had the old HD unplugged since I did the new install. Is it safe to plug it in, boot to my new HD, do a scan, and start picking my files out? Obviously I won't run any programs from it...

Thanks peeps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

It'll be safer to put that old hard drive in USB hard drive enclosure.
Then..
Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on your computer to protect it from any infected USB device.
Now you'll be safe to plug USB enclosure in and scan the drive with your AV program.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users