Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Slow, Overheating, Frequent Program Crashes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LenovoMiki

LenovoMiki

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

I have a Lenovo x201t (tablet PC) with an Intel Core i7 2.13gHz processor and 4 gigs of RAM. I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 SP 1, and it's up-to-date. It is a little disorganized with some old files I really should delete, but it has been recently defragged and it's well-maintained in general. I have an antivirus and a hardware firewall, as well as a software firewall: a combination which has worked well until now.

Recently, my computer has been running far slower than normal, and the heat it is generating is way way more than usual (actually too hot to touch.)I've had the computer for about a year, and I've never had a problem with heat until a week or so ago. The fan is also incredibly loud, even in sleep mode. Here are all the symptoms in detail:

1. Problems with web browsers.
I have both Firefox and Google Chrome, and both are fully up-to-date. About 1 in every 3 times I turn on the laptop, both browsers will fail to work. Firefox just freezes irreparably as soon as it starts, and Chrome will load blank tabs but will not load any webpage or display any error screens (such as the DNS not found screen.) It just sits there. Once the browsers crash, any attempts to restart the programs will fail. Firefox just keeps crashing, and Chrome won't open at all. It loads the Chrome32.exe process in the task manager each time I click the icon, but the actual browser doesn't open.

2. Problems with other programs.
I have Photoshop CS5, which I use frequently. Recently, about the same time as the problems with the browsers, it started freezing and crashing often. These failures are sudden and once they happen, the program will not resume function unless I restart the computer. As in, I cannot re-open Photoshop once it crashes without it immediately crashing again, or simply not opening at all, same as with the browsers.
Problems like this also happen with iTunes, which fails to start in a similar manner, and is incredibly laggy when it is running.

3.Problems with Windows itself.
In a similar manner to the programs above, Windows Explorer frequently freezes, and the "Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem," message appears. This is also un-fixable except by restarting.
Windows settings also change each time I restart the computer. This does happen normally on occasion due to conflicts between Lenovo ThinkVantage and Windows processes for controlling certain things, such as wireless connections. However, this is a little different. For example, I might turn on the computer one day and find that suddenly there are desktop shortcuts on my screen that shouldn't be there. I use Rainmeter, and my desktop setup does not use icons. Though the icons that appear are for legitimate programs, they still shouldn't be there. (This might be caused by updates, but I haven't been watching for a correlation so I'm posting it just in case it's relevant.)
Also, my fingerprint scanner sometimes fails to turn on when I turn on the computer. It never used to have this problem.
The Task Manager is a little weird sometimes too. There are frequently what appear to be duplicate processes, but with different sizes (17000K v. 0K, for example.) I'm no expert; this might be normal, but maybe not. This is especially true for the web browsers. There are currently 7 processes of Chrome32.exe running, and all that's open is the window I'm typing this in. Also, for the record, it's running quite smoothly right now apart from the heat/fan noise.

4. More about the heat issues.
This laptop used to be a pretty cool-running piece of equipment. Reviews of the computer state this also. Mine, within a few minutes of starting, is too hot to touch, incredibly loud, and I can actually feel hot air rising up between the keys of the keyboard under my left hand. I can't set the laptop on my lap without nearly burning myself. It never even got this hot when gaming, and this is most certainly not a gaming laptop.

5. Other details
-Symptoms get worse the longer the computer is running, even when it's just in sleep mode. The first hour or so is fine, but more than four and it starts deteriorating quickly.
-Every time I shut down the computer, Windows gives me the "One or more programs are preventing Windows from shutting down," message, but the list below that message shows no running programs. This happens without fail, every time. Once I get past that, the actual shutdown process takes longer than usual, too.

What I have done about it so far:
I've run MBAM multiple times (full scan on all disks) and it came up clean. Today, I ran RKill first, and although RKill said it didn't find anything, MBAM did give me a positive result the next time I ran it. The scan is still running, and I'll post the log in the appropriate thread when it finishes if anyone needs it. I'm a little worried MBAM might be compromised though...when I started it today, at first it told me the database was 13 days outdated and prompted me to download and install the new version. I went through the install wizard, and as soon as I finished, MBAM popped up the same dialog box about being out-of-date as before, but said it was 41 days outdated. I clicked yes again to the update, but this time it didn't launch the installer, just a progress bar for a second and then opened MBAM. It just seems sketchy to me.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm infected, but I have no clue what with. Any help would be appreciated greatly, since I leave for college in two days and this is my one and only college computer!!! Thanks so much in advance!

EDIT: The MBAM Scan finished, coming up with a Trojan.Agent in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS5.5\FlashIK.dll of all places. However, my computer still seems a little slow. So I'd appreciate it if someone could still look at this to be sure I haven't missed anything. Trojans can be nasty, and I want this thing gone before I start school!

SECOND EDIT: A google search yielded this: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=114244 Which shows that what MBAM found was a false positive. So, I still don't have any clue what's causing my problem.

Edited by LenovoMiki, 15 August 2012 - 01:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users