Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello and forum question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Hi, I live in Adelaide, South Australia and am in my late 50s. I've always tried to take computer security seriously, and used to use the old "Castlecops" forums extensively before they closed down. I'm really impressed with the huge amount of detail on this site.

My main reason for joining this forum at the moment is to try and find an up to date guide to the most respected generalist anti-malware checking programs. Every now and again I like to do an extensive check on my computer, just to make sure that nothing has got past my defenses. At the moment my standard security tools are Online Armor Pro, plus Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Microsoft Security Essentials, Spywareblaster and CCleaner. When I want to do something extra I run Hitman Pro and the free version of Panda Active Scan.

I'd like to know if there is anything extra I should be doing. Can any helpful person point me at any guides on this site that are aimed at doing comprehensive, in depth preventative scanning, rather than dealing with a specific known infection? Or tell me which forum I should post this question in?

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 August 2012 - 11:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

Hi, I live in Adelaide, South Australia and am in my late 50s << Almost the same here, but 100kms south west of Melbourne -
Hello and Welcome -
You seem to have a reasonable setup there, and Malwarebytes Pro (paid version) is the only extra that you could add to your mix -
The Free version is good for cleaning many infectins after they strike, but the $20 Lifetime License is quite well spent -
There are many good pages here written by the experts on security, and their ideas on what you can / should use. See the below links >>
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405.html/page__view__findpost__p__1637
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html/page__view__findpost__p__16942
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic407147.html/page__view__findpost__p__2316622

Catch you round the forum - :thumbup2:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

You can always get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner is one of the more effective ones.

I agree with noknojon and recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. More information about IP Protection can be found in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware IP Protection FAQs.

Those who purchase the full version receive a license key via email to activate the protection module. The license includes a lifetime of free upgrades and support. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

I also recommend you make regular backups of your machine. This way, if disaster strikes, you won't lose your data.
Having a backup is not only a good proactive measure against malware infections, but also for other disasters like a defective harddisk.

A simple way to backup your machine is to get an external USB harddisk with a capacity that matches or surpases the capacity of the harddisk(s) in your machine.
Windows 7 comes with a build-in backup program.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. At the moment I use Superantispyware Pro as my resident anti-malware protection, and MSE as my anti virus. When I purchased it, SAS was the program that everyone seemed to regard as the best, but in recent times it seems to have been supplanted by Malwarebytes. I have finally given in to popular opinion and decided to purchase Malwarebytes and to use SAS as on on-demand scanner.

I certainly do a regular daily backup of all my files, and I use a great utility called GoodSync.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users