Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transferring files to external devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Awhile back I read something about file degradation when transferring files to and fro external devices (HD/flash/cellphone).. but is this true? I know files can be degraded by zipping them, but if you cut/paste an entire file(s) directly to another drive, should I still worry about losing quality??

I want to know because I'm kind of an audiophile, and have had to transfer files in the past without much choice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

If it's a straight digital-to-digital, bit by bit transfer the resultant file should be identical to the source file. No loss of quality.

If you are doing any kind of file conversion or passing through an analog intermediate step, then it can degrade.

As far as audio goes, if you copy a WAV file to an MP3 file there will be some degradation -- how much depends on the degree of compression. If you then convert the MP3 back to WAV you will not, and cannot, get back the quality you lost.

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

When you say digital-to-digital, do you mean from computer to external device and vice-versa? Can you tell me what you mean by analog?

Take this picture of a puppy for example:
Posted Image
Let's pretend that I have got to have this picture with me wherever I go. If I keep transferring this photo back-and-forth between my computer and my cellphone every day for a month, or even a year, will this photo still retain its original quality in size and bytes? I don't see any reason why it couldn't possibly look the same.

Edited by Curious Mew, 16 August 2012 - 07:29 AM.

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

I think the best way to answer your question is to refer you to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_loss

Read the section under Digital generation loss.

If you're not converting formats and if your hardware, software and physical connections are all working properly, then the hundredth (or thousandth, etc.) generation should be bit-by-bit identical to the source.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

in theory, there is "always" some loss of data, though it is so minimal, you will never ever have any problems. If you were to transfer a file say, 10,000 times, it may be corrupted at the end of it, but simply transfering it to an external drive? no. it wont. Even if you copy it again and again, no. To cause data corruption, you would need it transfered so many times more then you can even physically do, or an external source (like bad thumb drive etc)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users