Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome built-in password manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

I was looking at using the LastPass password manager to keep track of all my passwords, but they seem to have gotten hacked awhile back :mellow:

I use Google products all the time (just about everything but Chrome) and was wondering if someone could tell me what their built-in password manager is like? Are your passwords encrypted and do your passwords auto-fill on webpages?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

Rule of the thumb for better security is "do not save passwords".

Yes Chrome encrypts the passwords. But not the usernames. The encryption is done using Windows API. It makes sure that only Windows user who saved the password can view them. A hacker who steals your password database cannot decrypt them. On Linux machines, encryption is done using Gnome keyring.

Yes Chrome also has auto-fill feature.

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Thanks buddy, that really helps :thumbup2:

So.. is Chrome a good recommendation? I've been wanting to try Lastpass because apparently they also save credit card information. I know they were hacked awhile back, but the hacker would not have been able to decrypt the goods without a master password. Also, I imagine Lastpass have also beefed up their security since then. At least they have experience in the manner, even if that experience cost them some reputation.

At the end of the day, I really don't understand what a hacker could want with a stolen password/account. It's not like the general public consists only of important people, most of us are just trying to get by.

All I know is, the pen-and-paper method of password keeping just isn't my style anymore. If a natural disaster ever came along, I'd having nothing left.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

If you must use a password manager, then I suggest Dashlene. It uses AES 256 bit cipher which is one the strongest encryption ciphers being used today. Besides it can save credit cards information and more.

https://www.dashlane.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users