Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot and other issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hazmat74

hazmat74

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Been having a few issues with my laptop and I'm hoping to get some help. First thing that's going on, from the log in screen until the desktop shows fully is taking a very long time. It used to boot fully to the desktop in about a minute or so, now I go from log in to a black screen and after about 3 mins, I finally have a desktop. Also have been dealing with a massively sluggish internet connection. I'm on a b router so I'm not expecting much, but nothing that I'm aware of has changed in or with the router and nobody else who uses the router has any problems that I'm aware of. I initially assumed I had a virus of some sort, but my system's shown clean with help in the security forum of this site. I'm pretty much at a loss at this point. Any help anyone can provide would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Let's try a clean boot for starters.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 hazmat74

hazmat74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Well, this is fun. MSconfig locks up when I click "apply" after setting up for a clean boot. This was something I noticed a week ago or so when I was disabling pesky startup programs I don't need. I figured the machine was just tweaking out a bit so I didn't worry about it. Now that I need to use it for diagnostics, I can't use it. Any thoughts?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

See what happens if you try it in safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users