Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choppy Video playback

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

In the last week or so all video as in streamed video's has became very choppy, it is nothing to do with buffering as they always download well ahead of playback and the sound always plays fine it is just the video that is playing up and it is getting very annoying.

I have tried deleting all Temporary files and Temp internet files including the cash and also internet history.

I have read a couple of things about this subject but nothing seems to make any difference.

I have also tried downloading the CCCP codec pack but this hasn't made any improvements.

I hope someone can help me with this as I watch a lot of video's and it is very annoying.

Many Thanks in advance.

Steve AKA Madforit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Is there really no-one out there who can help me with this problem???

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I can give you generic help.

Things I've seen cause this:
1. Clogged heatsink on the CPU causing it to slow down to help maintain it within a safe temperature.
2. High CPU usage by a process.
3. Video card settings
4. Not enough free memory causing excessive use of the virtual memory which is much slower than RAM.

Bring up the Taskmanager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and look at memory and CPU usage.
Look at the CPU heatsink for dust buildup. This one happened to my own brother BTW.
Video card hardware acceleration, On / Off?

Any new hardware or software before this happened?

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. I would not have expected the CCCP to help, Make it worse, maybe.

Edited by rotor123, 14 August 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

No changes have been made before or after this started happening.
My heatsink is as clean as can be.
I am currently using an ATI HD5450 card but I cannot seem to find the setting for hardware acceleration,if u could help me with this it would be great.
My CPU usage is roughly hovering around the 16% mark so I don't think this should be any cause for concern.

I hope you can help me find the setting as it may well be that that could be causing the problem, Although I have got 3GB of RAM which I would of thought would be more than enough just to watch a video stream when nothing else is running in the background.

Hope to hear from someone soon..
Thanks

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Is that 16% CPU doing nothing? If so that is high. Right now my windows 7 is showing 35 processes (from all users), 0% CPU and 33% Memory used out of 4GB. That is with Firefox and Thunderbird running.

Playing a Youtube video in addition shows 39 Processes, 4 to 5% CPU and 37% memory usage.

That is with a I3, 4GB, Intel SSD boot drive. Hard drive light isn't barely blinking during this.

I'm afraid I don't use ATI so I can't help there. it is supposed to support hardware acceleration. Have you tried the latest driver?

Have you run a Virus scan and a malware scan?

Eset online virus scan at www.eset.com look on the right side and scroll down to online scan, click and follow the prompts. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 August 2012 - 11:13 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

It is deffo not a virii/malware or anything like that,,but I have been through all of the options and it won't let me turn the hardware acceleration off or on as a matter of fact.
This option must be hidden away somewhere, But I'm damned if I can find it.

Please Please Please help me here,,this is driving me nuts now!!

Thanks
]

Stevo

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

How about trying this for troubleshooting. Turn off everything except Antivirus and test. Then if no change disable the antivirus and test. Antivirus could cause this too. You could also use msconfig.

Then try disabling as a test via MSCONFIG and only as a test. Win key + R for the run box. then type msconfig and press enter, just in case you didn't know. Even though I believe you do know how.
In services hide the microsoft then choose disable all. The in Startup, disable all. save and reboot, test.
Only test the streaming as this will disable all protection. if OK, enable one thing at a time starting with the Antivirus.

StartUpLite speeds Windows' startup

No one likes waiting for their computer to start - itís like watching paint dry (or golf). We at Malwarebytes know that you have places to go and websites to see so we created a lightweight and user-friendly way to speed up your start.

StartUpLite provides a safe, easy, and efficient way to eliminate unnecessary applications that start when you turn on your computer.

By disabling or removing unnecessary entries, StartUpLite can dramatically shorten your startup time with just a few clicks of the mouse. Stop waiting and start computing.

Hopefully someone using ATI will see this and help with that since I do not have anything running ATI, Mine are either built-in or Nvidia video.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

In the last week or so all video as in streamed video's has became very choppy,
it is nothing to do with buffering as they always download well ahead of playback
and the sound always plays fine it is just the video that is playing up and it is getting very annoying.

Steve AKA Madforit

Hiya mate,is this with online videos like youtube, vevo, bbc iplayer or similar.
have you updated your graphics drivers if possible?
also do you use just one browser? maybe internet explorer, why not try Firefox of Google chrome
and make sure Flash is up to date as well..
If its playback of video from your Hdd and your getting a tearing effect on the video file try with another media player
Download Daum Potplayer from videohelp.com very stable and plays nearly everything
and try playing files using it as your default player
Does your system have enough empty space to run? and have you defragged lately

hope this might help

#9 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

It turned out that i had a lot of extensions running in chrome that i didnt need and chrome opens up new instances every time a tab or extensions is being used..I got rid of most of them and so gfar everything seems to be working as it should again.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Glad to hear you found the answer.

Your answer is one reason I only have a couple of extensions in Firefox.
Same reason I get rid of toolbars too.

Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Extensions and toolbars,

the work of the devil.

#12 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Your connection.. or your Video card.. got a Intel GMA? you should upgrade or get a new Laptop with either AMD or Nvidia.
Thanks
Chris

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users