What I have tried so far:
1. Booted into safe mode with networking, no dice. No IE, no avast, no MBAM.
2. Safe mode with command prompt, ran chkdsk, no problems with hard drive.
3. F8 (Advanced Boot Menu) Last Known Good Configuration, no dice.
4. F8 Repair Windows - it loads all the files then I get an error message 'F3-F100-0010' which is supposed to be hard drive related but I do not believe it is the hard drive.
5. Microsoft Security Essentials I get an error message 0x80070643
6. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling avast & Mbam but i get error 1719 windows installer service cannot be accessed so I can't uninstall or reinstall anything on the system.
7. Tried downloading a .reg file from Microsoft's site to restore .exe file association
8. Tried installing programs from a USB drive in normal mode. Tried moving programs from usb stick to hard drive, Told me there was no room even though I know I have 30GB of free space on hard drive. I can move the programs from usb to hard drive while in safe mode though. Do not get the no room on hard drive message in safe mode.
9. Tried renaming the avast & mbam installers to programs that work such as calc.exe & StikyNot.exe (both in \windows\system32\) and overwriting those files but computer says I do not have permission though I have administrator privileges.
10. No previous restore points are listed though I know for sure I made a restore point on 8/4 or 8/5.
11. Have Tdsskiller.exe in my downloads folder. Will not run.
12. Have ComboFix.exe in my downloads folder. Will not run.
13. Have RKill.exe in my downloads folder. Will not run.
Tried renameing ComboFix.exe to various innocuous names such as 123.exe. Will not run. I of course have not backed up my data in awhile. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Really do not want to have to reinstall all my programs again.
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a Toshiba 17" laptop with 4GB of memory and a 250GB hard drive.
Edited by wildoatz, 13 August 2012 - 02:47 PM.