Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General data backup questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I use XP Home. I did a system data backup and it came out to 24 gigs. I want to copy my backups onto a removable flash drive because someone recommended copying onto a flash drive as being the best method to store backups. I have an 8 gig flash drive. Is there a way to compress the backup file to fit onto my 8 gig flash drive or do I need to purchase another 32 gig flash drive to store onto? Also, isn't it important to copy backups onto dvds occasionally to protect against viruses so the only data lost is after the point of infection? If the data is infected then the backup data copied onto a flash drive will be infected also, correct? So I was thinking of copying the backup data onto a flash drive weekly because it's easier to copy onto a flash drive and onto dvds monthly. Would that be a good method? Thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well, "someone" is wrong. The best method for backups is a second hard drive (preferably external). And given a choice I'd suggest Disc Imaging Software

Edited by Allan, 13 August 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

over the years i have see so many failed /dead harddrive ,don't trust them ,so my choice is DVD's,just my opinion ,

Edited by caperjac, 15 August 2012 - 04:55 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Since we are talking about methods of backing up...I believe it's just preference as to what media is used.

I prefer backing up to hard drives...I have a number of excess SATA and PATA internal hard drives which I use for said purpose.

Yesterday, I decided to look at some CDs which I had stored music/data files on from 2002 and I was surprised that they were all still readable. No special brand, inexpensive discs...I think that the key variable with such is just what type of care user takes of the data discs. I did nothing special to protect them, nothing stupid to damage them.

Louis

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

, nothing stupid to damage them.

Louis

might i say .most important part of using cd/dvd's

My answers are my opinion only,usually