Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alfacleaner Keeps Coming Back

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kitana

Kitana

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:47 AM

Yesterday my boyfriends computer started acting up out of no where. It'll randomly lag really bad, about every 5 minutes or so. We've narrowed the problem down to some sort of spyware that's related to Alfacleaner. He'll delete Alfacleaner, but then when the computer lags again, it comes back. I've searched everywhere and followed a bunch of different instructions (such as running Ad-aware, SpyBot, and HijackThis) and can't seem to find a way to fix it. He's even used system restore and the problem still hasn't been solved. He's using Windows XP Professional. Any help will be greatly apprecaiated.

Edited by Kitana, 12 March 2006 - 01:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:09 AM

Have your boyfriend run a fresh HJT log and submit it to our great volunteer team of experts. The instructions for posting can be found here, and he should carefully follow the directions given:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

They will work with him to solve the problem.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:10 AM

You didn't mention which antivirus program is used, but disable the antivirus program and boot into safe mode and follow these instructions: alfacleaner removal instructions

After successful removal enable the antivirus program, make sure it's up-to-date and check if you have the latest updates at the Microsoft Update website.

You might want to consider to install Windows Defender too.

#4 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:23 AM

Oops... just saw some other very nice instructions: How to remove AlfaCleaner

#5 Kitana

Kitana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:54 PM

Oops... just saw some other very nice instructions: How to remove AlfaCleaner

Thank you! We followed those instructions and it appears to be fixed. Lets just hope it doesn't come back! That was a headache.

#6 tindriver72

tindriver72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:40 AM

I had the same problem with my friends cpu. After following the instructions above, I get only a blue screen, and no taskbar. Please help. I've posted more in a new thread. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=46971&hl=

Thanks much!!

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:26 AM

Once your system is cleaned download all available critical updates from Microsoft (especially SP2 - set it to update and install automatically) and after reboot install Windows Defender which gives you real time protection.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 March 2006 - 06:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users