Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 only boots in normal mode, not safe mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dontknowitall

dontknowitall

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hi all,

Windows 7 x64 does not boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with command prompt. Normal mode boots perfectly. Are there any suggestions on how to resolve this? I've tried startup repair and attempted fix boot, etc. No affect. The unit is free of infection. I also tried using SFC, but it said everything was fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

-Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Download SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SUPERAntiSypware has a built in "Repairs" feature to fix policy restrictions and certain Windows settings which are sometimes targeted by malware infection. To use this feature, launch SUPERAntiSypware.

Click the Preferences button.
Click the Repairs tab.
Click on (highlight) "Repair broken SafeBoot key" and then click the Repair button.
You may be asked to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

If you upgraded Superantispyware to version 5.0, the instructions are a little different.

• From the Main Menu, click the Repairs button at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the Repairs list and click on (highlight) Repair broken SafeBoot key
  • Then click the Repair Selected Item button.
  • You may be asked to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 dontknowitall

dontknowitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm using version 5.5 and that is not one of the options available. However, I did use other software to check that and it said that my safeboot key was present.

#4 dontknowitall

dontknowitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I just realized the c:\boot folder is not there and its not hidden. How could windows start without that? How can I put it back?

#5 Big_Z

Big_Z

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

I have 2 possible helps regarding your inability to boot into Safe Mode.

#1. I cannot help if your C:\Boot folder is truly gone. The following statement is extremely basic, but please do not take offense. On my Windows 64-bit computer, the folder C:\Boot is visible ONLY if "Show Hidden files, ..." is ticked [check-marked] AND "Hide protected ..." is not ticked [not check-marked].

#2. On my Windows XP computer (bought refurbished from IBM) the computer would not Safe Boot. I researched the problem, but nothing that I tried worked. The only solution was to use the Safe Boot feature in my SuperAntiSpyware version 4.x . It was accessed via Start > Programs > S.A.S. /Safe Boot. I do not know if version 5.x has this feature.

#6 dontknowitall

dontknowitall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Well the Boot folder was gone. I used another from a different machine and reset the boot config files. Still doesn't boot into safe mode. I've tried repair the safe boot key. However, the option to go to safe mode is there, F8 works.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

What exactly happens when you try to go to safe mode?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users