Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Had to reformat and reinstall WinXP on a Dell with their restore disk and while trying to do Windows updates, got the following error message: Error 0x8024400A

Any clues how to fix this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Post two http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464517.html/page__view__findpost__p__2798906
or
Post three http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464517.html/page__view__findpost__p__2798911

Either one of these should do the job. As I understand it, Once you get to SP3 and IE8 then the windows update will work. All that Microsoft stopped was Windows update for anything lower than SP3. Thus causing a error message.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

To determine what service packs are already installed by the Dell CD, right mouse click on My Computer on the Desktop or in the Start Menu, select Properties, General tab. Look for Service pack under System.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) must be preinstalled before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Regards,
Brooks

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Try this

upgrade to IE 8

IE 8

Download

Windows update agent

Save the download to your C drive

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce and then click OK,install WU agent

Restart the PC and try to update

Edited by narenxp, 13 August 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#5 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, but I found a copy of SP3 lying around and installed that and it seems to have fixed the problem. Glad I had downloaded it a long time ago. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users