Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My XP Home hanging at bootup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LIGHTTY

LIGHTTY

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

I decided to use ComboFIX on my own and installed ComboFix & it prompted me to install REcovery Console, so I did.. Now, no matter what I do ( tried ALL the Advanced startup menu options ), XP only hangs with the blue screen & XP logo where it shows XP is "starting up" just hangs...

Update: I'm new.. How will I know when someone replies to me ?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 August 2012 - 06:17 PM.
Moved to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hello and :welcome:

Why did you decide you wanted to run combo fix? Were you having other issues?

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

I decided to use ComboFIX on my own and installed ComboFix & it prompted me to install REcovery Console, so I did.. Now, no matter what I do ( tried ALL the Advanced startup menu options ), XP only hangs with the blue screen & XP logo where it shows XP is "starting up" just hangs...

Update: I'm new.. How will I know when someone replies to me ?

Question:
Your description sounds like the system froze simply because you installed the Recovery Console while running combofix...but I have my doubts. What I believe happened was that combofix completed it's scan and rebooted your system, at which time you saw the blue stop screen. Would this be more accurate?

If so, tell us what text appears on the blue screen, to include any driver information which may be detailed at the bottom of that screen. Next, if you indeed WERE successful in your effort to install the recovery screen, then you should be able to boot to the recovery console. To test this, reboot the machine and when it starts to come back up, press the up or down arrow key one time...just tap it once. If you were successful, the system should boot up to your recovery console. On your next reply let us know if you were able to boot into the recovery console. Thanks!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Update: I'm new.. How will I know when someone replies to me?

You will receive an email notification. Hang in there Firefoxthebomb.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

1972vet

Not knowing if LIGHTTY had properly set up his Notifications Preferences to receive a reply, I sent him instructions on how to do that and also to advise this topic has been replied to.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Update: I'm new.. How will I know when someone replies to me?

You will receive an email notification. Hang in there Firefoxthebomb.

I think you mean the original poster LIGHTTY not Firefoxthebomb.

But also it's necessary that the member has notifications turned on. If they do not, they won't get any notifications.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yep Animal, you're correct. I meant the reply for Lightty.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#8 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the clarification :)

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#9 LIGHTTY

LIGHTTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

LIGHTTY here.. No more need to reply to my problem... I ended up having to go RETRIEVE my Disc Image Backup to get my Computer working again... It took TOOOOOO long for members to reply to my post, so I had to go a different route.. I wish members wouild've replied quicker because I REALLY wanted to figure out how to DISABLE my AVG & MBAM in my Registry which may've been causing my XP to hang at startup ??? I would've been accessing my Registry EXTERNALLY of course, but it would've been fun if only members could reply quicker to me...

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

In a perfect world someone would have replied to you quicker. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world and you have to wait until someone who has the knowledge to help you sees your post. Those people do have lives that do not revolve around the computer and Bleeping Computer. There may be others who read your post out of curiousity but don't have the knowledge and expertise to offer help.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 August 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

I REALLY wanted to figure out how to DISABLE my AVG & MBAM in my Registry which may've been causing my XP to hang at startup ???

In most cases Malwarebytes will not conflict with other security programs but there have been a few reported conflicts. Vista/Windows 7 has an option for services to start with a delay (Automatic (Delayed Start)), but XP does not. In order to avoid possible conflicts with other security tools which also load at startup, you can delay the startup of Malwarebytes service (MBAMService.exe).

Press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click Posted Image > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: regedit
Click OK or press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder to highlight it.
Right-click on a space in the right pane, select New > DWORD Value.
Name the value: delayguistart
Press Enter.
Double-click on the delayguistart entry you just created, click the circle next to Decimal and type 60 for the value.
Click OK and exit regedit.

This will cause Malwarebytes (mbamgui) to delay itself 60 seconds before starting, allowing other programs to complete their startup process and avoid lockups or conflicts.

CAUTION: This step involves making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes.

#12 LIGHTTY

LIGHTTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Like I stated though I use XP Home Edition & how would I have accessed my XP HDD Registry remotely ?? I had the BAD HDD hooked up to my Window-7 Laptop trying to access my XP Registry but when I typed in REGEDIT, it only shows the Windows-7 Registry.. Also, can AVG be DISABLED in the Registry in XP ??

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,056 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I only provided the above info since you had your computer working ok again and the initial problem appeared to be XP hanging on startup. I had a similar problem with MBAM and had to do this myself.

I do not use or recommend AVG any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users